A question on challenge cache creation

Gan Dalf

Hi everyone. I am fairly new but I have logged enough finds that I hope that some of you (especially from North Western Washington) have seen some of my logs and recognize my name. I am hoping to get some guidance on an idea I have for a challenge cache and since the cachers in Washington State will be the ones who will be doing this I thought it best to post my questions here. Please be frank in your comments, I do not bruise easily and I appriciate everyones opinions.

OK so here is the question. Do you think that in order to design, place, or release a challenge cache that the owner of the cache should have already met all of the requirments for discovering that chache? For example, lets just say for arguments sake that when Moun10Bike designed the delorme challenge he didn't have finds in more than half the maps that the challenge required. Would that be OK? Or say when FireFighterJ desgined and released the Bakers Dozen Challenge that he had never found a multi or puzzle cache in conjunction with more than 3 other caches there by not qualifying him to complete his own cache. Would it have been in poor taste for him to relaease that cache?

One thing I notice about all of the challenge caches in Washington is that the owners of all of these caches have well in excess of 1000 caches and some have 4 or 5 times that many. The owners of these challnge caches probably already meet the requirements of their own challenge cache just based on shear volume.

I was looking over Lizzy's list of Washington State challenge Caches when an idea hit me for one. It borrows ideas from several other Challenge Caches but i think it is a good one and one that really would be challenging because the requirements are fairly rare. They are so rare, and I am so new to this that if I were to try and complete my own challenge cache, it would probably take me twice as long as most of the veteran cachers that post on this forum.

Anyway, let me know what you think. If you contact me directly I might be willing to share more about what my idea is but for now I am going to keep it to myself.

Thanks

-FM

It certainly isn't a requirement that the owner of a challenge cache have met the requirements of that challenge.

I agree. I am co-owner of the Kitsap County Challenge, which is a small scale challenge compared to the Delorme and Washingtion County challenges. In the case of the Kitsap County Challenge, I have found caches before in almost all the maps. With everyone starting over, I decided it would be a good idea to also do the challenge. That has given me a good idea of the caches and their locations in verifing finds. We are enjoying visiting the county again. We picked up 5 new maps yesterday.

If you want feedback, it would be a good idea to let us know what you want to do with this challenge. Right now, I have enough challenges to do with finishing up the Delorme and WA County challenges. We are also traveling to Alaska this June to finish up caching in the last state we need.

Good Luck Dick

Make sure that you can take extreme criticism. I have a couple of peeps with challenge caches and more than once they have had less than friendly emails from other cachers. Thankfully they are a small percentage of the emails, as most are friendly and appreciative of the hard work that goes into maintaining the challenge.

Make sure that you can take extreme criticism. I have a couple of peeps with challenge caches and more than once they have had less than friendly emails from other cachers. Thankfully they are a small percentage of the emails, as most are friendly and appreciative of the hard work that goes into maintaining the challenge.

Now I've heard everything - sugary confections are now geocaching! :D:D:laughing::P

Now I've heard everything - sugary confections are now geocaching! :D:D:laughing::P

Hey, they've been caches, er, caching for a while now. :D

Edited by hydnsek

Now I've heard everything - sugary confections are now geocaching! B)B):rolleyes::D

From Wiki:

"They are made from marshmallow, sugar, gelatin, and carnauba wax". :blink: