76CSx Saving Favorites/Waypoints

I guess I am too used to using my automotive GPS units ( Garmin 2730 & 7500 ).

On my automotive units I can easily save to a "Favorites" list and retrieve it with the push of

a few buttons.

I now have a 76CSx and it seems that there is no "Favorites" list or storage.

I have searched the forums and find some posts referencing "Waypoints" as the way

to save a form of Favorites.

So... my question is.... Does the 76CSx have any way I have not found to save something called Favorites, or do I have to save them all as a "WayPoint" and edit the name for such favorites as "Home" etc. ?

Thanks for your help....

Tim

The only thing you can save "on the unit" are waypoints. The only way of categorizing them is with different icons.

Not quite. My Legend (b&w) does indeed allow you to designate waypoints to a "Favorites" list. This makes finding frequently used waypoints much quicker, without working through the entire contents of the unit. My 76CSx does not have this feature, and I miss it.

One thing that I do use on my 76CSx, though it's a poor substitute, is the list of recently accessed waypoints. Press "Find" twice to get this list to pop up. When heading out of town, I'll occasionally "find" the waypoints for my hotel or known stops before I pull out (which places them on the 'recent' list), so they can be quickly used as needed.

Edited by gnbrotz

The only thing you can save "on the unit" are waypoints. The only way of categorizing them is with different icons.

Not quite. My Legend (b&w) does indeed allow you to designate waypoints to a "Favorites" list. This makes finding frequently used waypoints much quicker, without working through the entire contents of the unit. My 76CSx does not have this feature, and I miss it.

One thing that I do use on my 76CSx, though it's a poor substitute, is the list of recently accessed waypoints. Press "Find" twice to get this list to pop up. When heading out of town, I'll occasionally "find" the waypoints for my hotel or known stops before I pull out (which places them on the 'recent' list), so they can be quickly used as needed.

I use the 76CSx for both geocaching and travel - including travel for work. I simply designated the big X (rr crossing?) symbol for all of the waypoints that are office locations. If I want to look at the office locations I choose "by symbol" when I check waypoints. It shows me all the symbols I AM USING and let's me choose what I want. I select the X symbol and there are my office locations. For Home, my son's house, other people's houses, etc. I use the Blue Flag. For other categories I use other symbols. I have all of the geocaches I have hidden marked with the purple circle icon. When I'm out of town I designate an icon for the hotel. It's really easy to do and works quite well for me.

[Edit]

Another advantage of the above method is that I can delete all waypoints I don't want without deleting the ones I want to keep. I simply delete the set with the symbols I need to get rid of such as hotel, geocache found, etc.

Edited by Thrak

WOW... THANKS a bunch for all of the quick replies !

SO... when you save a "Waypoint", does it always show up on the map screen ?

And let's say I am using the 76CSx on the water and find a spot I want to "mark" as a waypoint. (Good fishing, reef, rock etc.) what is the quickest/eastiest way to enter it as a waypoint and save it ?

The 76CSx has a "MOB" function too, so it sounds like the MOB button saves your Lat/Log position with a simple one push of a button.

gnbrotz: I did manage to figure out to go the the "Recent Finds" screen and select one of the recent finds I had... it makes it a lot easier to go back to a spot than entering it all over again.

Thanks, Tim

WOW... THANKS a bunch for all of the quick replies !

SO... when you save a "Waypoint", does it always show up on the map screen ?

No. This is also customizable by you. You can choose them to always show, never show, or only show below a particular zoom level. To choose your options, go to the Map screen, press "Menu", and choose "Setup Map". From the Map Setup screen, the third icon from the left (flag) will allow you to adjust how you want "User Waypoints" to appear.

And let's say I am using the 76CSx on the water and find a spot I want to "mark" as a waypoint. (Good fishing, reef, rock etc.) what is the quickest/eastiest way to enter it as a waypoint and save it ?

The 76CSx has a "MOB" function too, so it sounds like the MOB button saves your Lat/Log position with a simple one push of a button.

Using the MOB will create a waypoint, and automatically begin navigation back to that same waypoint (in order to recover your 'man overboard'). To create regular waypoints, without actively navigating to them automatically, press and hold the "Enter" key. From that screen you can change the symbol, name, comments, etc. before saving it.