Deleting Geocaches on Colorado 300

There are many ways to get the geocache onto the Colorado, I'll adress a couple of common ones.

Let's say you are viewing the cache page of GC12345 and click the Send to GPS button. This will create a gc12345.gpx file on your Colorado in {drive letter}:\Garmin\GPX. To delete the geocache, you would connect your GPS to your computer and delete the file {drive letter}:\Garmin\GPX\gc12345.gpx. GC12345 should no longer appear on your GPS.

Let's say you request a pocket query of your nearest unfound caches, and you receive the file 8194.gpx via email and put it in {drive letter}:\Garmin\GPX\. At the end of the day, you log your finds, including GC12345 (maybe via the field notes feature?) and the next day, request your nearest unfound caches pocket query. You receive 8194.gpx via email. Copy and replace the 8194.gpx already on your GPS with the new gpx file. GC12345 should no longer appear on your GPS.

If you use some other method to get the geocache onto your GPS, please give the details and I'll try to give you instructions on how to delete it.

--Marky

Can someone walk me through how to delete the geocaches from my colorado. I saw teh FAQ where it said you had to load a new GPX file without the geocache. How do I do this?

Geocaches are loaded based on the gpx files you have in [drive]:\Garmin\gpx . Any gpx file in this directory which includes geocaches will result in a geocache being added your CO's geocache list. Similarly, removing a file will cause the caches in that gpx file to be removed from the geocache list. Downloading a new file with the same name has the effect of removing all of the caches in the original file and adding all of the caches in the new file. So if your new file doesn't contain a cache it will have the net effect of removing the cache from your CO.

Some examples:

If you use "Send to GPS" simply delete the file called GCXXXX.gpx from the folder above.

If you use PQ's you'll need to rerun or modify the PQ to eliminate the cache from the PQ, run the PQ and download the gpx file to your CO. If you want to eliminate found caches just make sure your PQ is set for only caches you haven't found.

If you use GSAK, eliminate the cache from you filter, regenerate the gpx file and download the new file to your CO.

In all cases if you want to remove a geocache it cannot be present in any gpx file in [drive]:\Garmin\GPX. and it cannot be done on the Colorado itself. You have to manipulate the files from a PC.

GO$Rs

In all cases if you want to remove a geocache it cannot be present in any gpx file in [drive]:\Garmin\GPX. and it cannot be done on the Colorado itself.
Yet. I'm hoping they will add this capability.

Sheesh............... I'm reading tons of threads regarding the Colorado units while trying to decide if I want to swap my 76CSx for one of them. It's things such as the above that keep telling me not to do it. It's unbelievable how many of the simple functions I'm used to having seem to be either missing or buried under a ton of menus on the Colorado units.

In all cases if you want to remove a geocache it cannot be present in any gpx file in [drive]:\Garmin\GPX. and it cannot be done on the Colorado itself.
Yet. I'm hoping they will add this capability.

Sheesh............... I'm reading tons of threads regarding the Colorado units while trying to decide if I want to swap my 76CSx for one of them. It's things such as the above that keep telling me not to do it. It's unbelievable how many of the simple functions I'm used to having seem to be either missing or buried under a ton of menus on the Colorado units.

That's like saying that your old home is cozy with its wood-burning fireplace, but the new home you've been looking at across town (nearer your work) has an energy-efficient air conditioning system and lacks the old technology you currently own so you won't consider the new home!

I guess, if you want to always chase old caches, regardless of their current status (including cache logs) and have to delete each found cache manually (or every few days via a slightly more efficient batch process), then your old technology GPS is what you SHOULD be using!

I'm curious though. While your International may take to the trails like an old mule, isn't the cost of fuel in that old clunker Eating You Alive??? LMAO! :laughing:

What I REALLY, REALLY want to do is take a $2000 notebook computer to a mountain top, hopefully find a connection, and manipulate Geocaches in the Colorado. The Colorado provides the capability to edit, delete and hand input Waypoints, so I don’t believe it is unreasonable to expect the same for Geocaches. Try to navigate using Waypoints; it’s very cumbersome. If you want to ADD a cache you have a similar problem. The people I Geocache with, and myself as well, need to add a cache on-the fly, one that someone else may have in his or her GPSR, so we can each try to find the cache. It doesn't work very well if you add the new cache as a new Waypoint; navigating a waypoint is just a royal pain. And since you cannot ADD a new Geocache, you’re out of luck. Yes, this is NEW to us, but we shouldn’t be teased with the Waypoint manipulation and not Geocaches. I am not recommending the Colorado series to anyone that is Geocaching now. It is simply too much money with for Geocaching, then have such restrictions for Geocaching. I will be attending an event Saturday, 15 March 2008, and will see what the POWER USERS think about it. Unfortunately, I am not a huge fan of the Colorado, and I have been using one since the day it was first available to me (ordered through Internet and it was sent the first day the store received it from Garmin), and this may be my last one Garmin. I have owned 4 different models and was not impressed with the Colorado as soon as I saw how cheap it looked. I have always been pleased with my map60C and I bought the Colorado because the map60C has been discontinued.

Edited by bluegrassfan