sorting a pocket query

BJD3

That will work if your route is always going away from the starting location. If your route ever backtracks on itself or takes a 90° turn at some point, there may be caches closer to the starting point that are farther along the route.

But most of the time that will work.

I used cachemate to do a nearest in my route direction. It will created a list of caches let it be southeast direction within 20km. Then I created a column for distance in PPC Cachemate. Tap the distance column it will sorted out for me from near to the far end or vice versa by tapping the distance column one more time.

If on the driving route I used Garmin Mobile xt to create a route with multiple via point. As I reached the first via point. Parked my bike and switched to cachemate with selected cache's point. tap the NAV buttom to reach the GZ and started my hunt. Voila.

Edited by thsalbert

Waht is GSAK and where do I find it?

GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, Google maps, conversion to many mapping formats, PDA output (including CacheMate support), HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more. GSAK only runs on Windows operating systems (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista)

GSAK is FREE to download and use, but after 21 days of unrestricted use you get a nag screen. You can keep using GSAK after the 21 days, but if you want to remove the nag screen you will need to register the program ( Note: PayPal will now accept credit cards directly - you DON'T have to set up a PayPal account.)

http://gsak.net

Waht is GSAK and where do I find it?

GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. Major features include: Multiple databases, sending/receiving waypoints to GPSr, Google maps, conversion to many mapping formats, PDA output (including CacheMate support), HTML output, extensive searching, macro support, backup and restore, distance/direction from other waypoints (including caches, locations, post codes) and much more. GSAK only runs on Windows operating systems (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista)

GSAK is FREE to download and use, but after 21 days of unrestricted use you get a nag screen. You can keep using GSAK after the 21 days, but if you want to remove the nag screen you will need to register the program ( Note: PayPal will now accept credit cards directly - you DON'T have to set up a PayPal account.)

http://gsak.net

I just wanted to point out that, according to a thread on the GSAK forums, that GSAK will run under linux OS (using a windows emulator, so it's about the same thing).

I used cachemate to do a nearest in my route direction. It will created a list of caches let it be southeast direction within 20km. Then I created a column for distance in PPC Cachemate. Tap the distance column it will sorted out for me from near to the far end or vice versa by tapping the distance column one more time.

If on the driving route I used Garmin Mobile xt to create a route with multiple via point. As I reached the first via point. Parked my bike and switched to cachemate with selected cache's point. tap the NAV buttom to reach the GZ and started my hunt. Voila.

Where in CacheMate can you create a column for distance? I have been wanting to do that because that is the one important thing missing in paperless caching.

I just load the caches into my GPS and let the next nearest tool do its thing.

Before I started loading caches to my GPS as POIs, I would delete each cache from my GPS as I found it. That way, I always knew that the 'nearest' cache hadn't already been found. Unfortunately, POIs aren't that easy to manage 'in the field'.

I just load the caches into my GPS and let the next nearest tool do its thing.

Before I started loading caches to my GPS as POIs, I would delete each cache from my GPS as I found it. That way, I always knew that the 'nearest' cache hadn't already been found. Unfortunately, POIs aren't that easy to manage 'in the field'.

I mark them as found via the Garmin Geocaching mode built into most of my GPSr units.