How do I find out who to contact for permission?

Hi people

I want to go out and find a few more first, but am already thinking of where to hide my first cache, like you do :(

I'd like to do one specifically for the young uns out there - like my 5 year old - who are enjoying this hobby with mum and/or dad

To that end I'd like to do a puzzle cache, but a very easy one that the little 'uns can take part in - with a well stocked box at the end of it with lots of the nice little toys that my son loves to find - and close to something else that the kiddies will enjoy like a playground etc.

I need it to be close to my home so I can check on it often and make sure it is always loaded up with nice goodies, and is in good condition and nothing has been left in it that isn't kid-friendly.

there is a little park close to me which is perfect, and there are no other caches registered there yet.

Trouble is I don't have the foggiest idea how I would go about obtaining permission to place a cache there, or who to ask.

I assume the place is maintained by my local council, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best department to contact etc? and what to say to them to maximise the chances of them saying yes?

I have already checked the list of existing UK agreements on a different webpage and my council isn't listed...

any advice would be welcomed

Sarah

Hi Sarah - my post is asking very similar questions! I would guess you should ring the parks department initially to find out if they own it. If there isn't one somewhere already, maybe someone with experience of approaching official organisations like this will have a letter template of the sort of things to include. I don't think explaining geocaching in writing is very easy, especially if that person is worried about possible damage to public property!

Ness.

yup I saw your thread, your earthquake epicentre idea is cool :(

my worry is that I'll get some little jobsworth at the local council (and I used to work for the council, so don't tell me they aren't out there lol), and I'll explain myself badly and not only get the door slammed in my face, but ruin it for everyone else! :D

The The Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB) http://www.gagb.org.uk/ is a very good place to start. They have a lots of info and were very helpful to me when I placed my one and only.

I have had a good read of their website already, but it didn't tell me all I needed to know. I will contact them directly, and also other local "hiders" (good idea, thanks keehotee), and will post the results on here to help others in a similar position

cheers all

Sarah

IMO people tend to over complicate this :laughing:

Start at the lowest rung on the ladder you can find. I'd spend some time about the park and keep an eye out for groundskeepers. Get chatting to them and they will soon tell you who is responsible for the park. One of them (or ideally the foreman) should be able to give you permission for the placement or tell you the next person in line to him that you need to talk to.

Talking to people that work in the park and have an attachment to it is much more likely to produce results that a pen-pusher in an office that is concerned about insurance, etc. You'll find that they will be more interested in geocaching too, even if it's just to have a break from work for half an hour! It's always a good idea for people like that to know about it too as it'll help avoid your cache getting mistaken for rubbish and stop people maybe getting hassled when rooting around where they wouldn't normally be.

Get a name of the person and a contact method if possible in case you need to prove permission was obtained and if you need to move it or anything.

I would go along with the above, take your container(s) along and show the groundsman what it is where you want to place it and you will be surprised that you even worried about it. I had to contact Gateshead council about the location of one of my caches and to be honest all the man wanted to know was that it wasnt going to damage anything and that it was a real game we play. An hour or so after the initial contact he rang me back and said he had checked out the website and he had no problems at all as long as we did no damage.

Glad to say those who have visited the cache have caused no damage to the area (as if they would) and its still happily sitting there.

Yep, I agree that finding the park-keeper in the park and showing him/her your container is the easiest way to go about it - I have done this a couple of times, and although they look at you a bit funny first, they soon become amenable to the idea once you explain what is involved!

If you can't "grab a parkie" then look in your phone book under your local council name and find the number for parks and gardens - sometimes it may be listed under leisure services. Or ring the council's customer services number and ask to speak to someone who knows about park maintenance. Even if you get refused at first, you can often "twist their arm" so to speak by explaining that other councils allow geocaches in their parks and in fact many encourage geocaching because it encourages people to use the parks for harmless recreation - add that geocachers are responsible people who don't drop litter etc!

Good luck!

Edited by Rose_Thorn