Colorado ?

snowyaker1

My question here is about the software vs the hardware on the new Colorado. I have been reading all of the posts and other info that many of you have been posting about the Colorado, and how that there are some major disappointments with this unit, but there are also it's positives. I am just wondering are all of these issues software related? If so then they will eventually be addressed by Garmin and corrected. secondly are there any hardware problems with the Colorado or is it Technologically sound?

If it is a software issue then why not buy one now, I think it would be great to be able to get my hands on something in this stage and be able to give my input on what needs to be done to make it a better unit. I don't know if I am unique in my view on this but I would like some input.

Thanks

My question here is about the software vs the hardware on the new Colorado. I have been reading all of the posts and other info that many of you have been posting about the Colorado, and how that there are some major disappointments with this unit, but there are also it's positives. I am just wondering are all of these issues software related? If so then they will eventually be addressed by Garmin and corrected. secondly are there any hardware problems with the Colorado or is it Technologically sound?

If it is a software issue then why not buy one now, I think it would be great to be able to get my hands on something in this stage and be able to give my input on what needs to be done to make it a better unit. I don't know if I am unique in my view on this but I would like some input.

Thanks

I bought a Colorado 300 2 weeks ago. I have used it several times and find the hardware works fine. The software interface is significantly different from my old 60csx. I think a lot of the issues being reported are people tring to compare the unit with previous units. Hardware wise the unit locks on quickly and appears to be as accurate as the 60cxs. Boot up is slow but once booted it locks on quickly. I think a lot of the issues will be fixed with bios updates. I went out geocaching twice and the more I use the 300 the more I like it. I have half the US topo 2008 loaded and the nearest 500 caches. It's great having the cache discriptions in the GPS. :drama:

HARDWARE:

The IPX7-problem will not be fixed with a new firmware

on a mountainbike a "saftey-cord" like the gpsmap60 would be fine - no fw could improve it :drama:

SOFTWARE:

A lot of things people are missing from the "old" generation could be fixed - but garmin will not fix all of them.

I think, they could need plenty of people to improve the fw, but only have somey guys.

So we will have to wait - better we wait as garmin will give a deadline for the next (buggy) firmware.

(i hope there will be a solution for the daily-.gpx-log it was a great function)

Edited by freeday

My first GPS was a Garmin eMap that I bought in 2000. I upgraded to a Garmin GPSMAP76C in 2005. In late 2007 I got a Garmin Zumo 550. And I just got the newest unit...a Colorado 400t. From eMap to 76C wasn't a big leap. Going from the 76C to the Zumo WAS a HUGE leap in how you use the unit. The same can be said for going to the Colorado.

From looking around many websites I determined that most of the complaints were simple software fixes...eagerly awaiting updates. The most complaints were from people comparing the user interface to their old units. Hey! The Colorado is going in a new direction. When a new computer comes out you upgrade yourself...not downgrade the unit. Of course, these complaints would also be simple software changes to go back to old user interfaces. IPX7 problem? So one guy drowns a Colorado (on purpose...which results in the accident) and all of a sudden there is an IPX7 problem? No. He got a replacement unit at no cost. My old eMap never encountered a problem and it was not even rated waterproof...I've cached with it in pouring rain, snow, sleet, etc, etc. I have that 76C and I have never purposely dunked it...nor will I. Shoot...I've even boated with it. My intended usage for the Colorado won't be any different. And so far it has worked well for me. I would like to see it easier to change waypoints when going after multicaches and the ability to average when placing a cache...also software fixes.

The Rock-n-roller is an awesome new user interface. The receiver gets lock in the unlikeliest of places. And the 3-D mapping is sweet.

One hardware problem might be the dim screen. Basically...user complaint. Once again, comparing it to their old units. But from my usage I have determined that it is okay outside. Sometimes, when inside, I have turned it on and then off again and then on again only to find that the screen had been so dim I didn't see anything come up the first time. Simply turn up the backlight. It's not that big of a problem for me.

Another possible hardware problem could be battery usage times. It does chew throught them pretty fast. I don't know if this can be changed with a simple battery management software update or not. If I get a battery alert I can turn the unit off and then back on again and it will be fine...for awhile. The battery meter seems to drift. I just bought some 2500mah NiMHs to try in it but have heard many stories of poor performance.

Overall...it is worth it to me. Do lots of reading/research. Be sure to read the complaints closely. Weigh the pros and cons. I think that you will find its future is as exciting as I do.