Just got my first GPS - Vista HCx

craab

I am just getting into geocaching through a frind of mine who has been at it about a year.

Anyhow, he got 2 eTrex Vista HCx's for Christmas - and he sold me one tonight for $200.00.

Brand new - in the box - never opened.

I guess what I want to know is - did I get a good deal?

Is there anything I should definitely know about this unit?

I plan to go get a SD cartd for it tomorrow - just played with it tonight.

Seems like it has alot to offer - but as I said - I am totally new to this.

Thoughts?

Edited by craab

Welcome to the addiction!! $200.00 sounds like a good deal considering I paid over $350.00 for my box package that included topo maps.

The Vista HCx is a great unit. You may run into a few bugs and bumps along the way, so try not to get too frustrated. I'm truly happy with my Vista HCx.

There is a lot of information in these forums about the Vista HCx, so read up. Take your time learning the basic functions and feel free to ask for assistance when you need it. Most of the people around here will be happy to bend over backwards to help you.

My Vista HCx worked great straight out of the box. I purchased a 2 GB micro SDHC card and loaded up about 1/2 the topo maps for the US. If you intend on using Auto-Routing features, you will need to purchase detailed street map software. However, I have not purchased the street map software since the base and topo maps included in my Vista box provide enough street detail for me to navigate.

I'm sure there are experienced cachers in your local area that would be happy to show you the ropes and could offer much insight, experience, and guidance on the use of your new GPSr.

Have fun with your new toy!!

The HCX is one of best GPS units on the market right now, so ya you got a good unit and good deal for it.

You said that you intend on buying a SD card for it, did you get any mapping software with it? If you didn't you will need to buy some for it before you get an SD card for it, or else you'll have nothing to put on the SD card.

The only problem I've heard of with the Vista HCX is the odometer for how far you've traveled can be way off at times. There was a firmware update recently for it, so do the Garmin updater and check and see if you have the most recent firmware for the unit.

Overall though its a great little unit for caching and I think you will like it.

Hey thanks for the quick advice.

I plan to do alot of reading this weekend on here, and in my Garmin manuals.

I livein Virginia Beach, and have loads of caches to go after.

I guess a card will not be immediately necessary.

What are the best maps to get for "street-by-street" level detail?

craab,

You got a good deal. I bought my Vista HCx the first week of January and I have been very happy with it so far. The first thing you need to do is set yourself up an account here at the Garmin site and register your Vista HCx and then download the web updater here so that you get the latest firmware updates. My recommendation is start out with City Navigator 2008 the non-NT version to start with then if you start doing some country caches you may want to invest in Topo 2008. I am sure you will enjoy your new GPSr.

Happy and fruitful caching!

craab,

You got a good deal. I bought my Vista HCx the first week of January and I have been very happy with it so far. The first thing you need to do is set yourself up an account here at the Garmin site and register your Vista HCx and then download the web updater here so that you get the latest firmware updates. My recommendation is start out with City Navigator 2008 the non-NT version to start with then if you start doing some country caches you may want to invest in Topo 2008. I am sure you will enjoy your new GPSr.

Just curious, why do you recommend the non-NT version?

craab,

Just curious, why do you recommend the non-NT version?

I'm not Idahogreggory, but I would also recommend the non-NT version for the HCx. He has had the same problem that I and some others have had, namely, the City Navigator NT maps caused some very noticeable and annoying lags on our Vista or Legend HCx units. At least three people have seen these lag issues vanish after swithcing from NT to non-NT maps. (These lags have not been reported on any other models, as far as I have seen.)

See thread "Lag-free at last!".

I'm not Idahogreggory, but I would also recommend the non-NT version for the HCx. He has had the same problem that I and some others have had, namely, the City Navigator NT maps caused some very noticeable and annoying lags on our Vista or Legend HCx units. At least three people have seen these lag issues vanish after swithcing from NT to non-NT maps. (These lags have not been reported on any other models, as far as I have seen.)

See thread "Lag-free at last!".

Thank you!