Which topo? 1:24000 or 1:100000

nlittle

Hi All-

After lurking for a bit and caching with my Nuvi 350 (kinda fun), I have decided to pick up a vista HCx and a topo map.

Seems I can buy the entire US on 1:100000 or just my region (east coast) on 1:24000 for about the same price on dvd/cd.

I do want topo but for light hiking and caching do I need the extra detail on the regional map? ( I don't need city as I have the Nuvi for driving.)

Thanks for your input! I love the forum already!

I assume your talking about Garmin's maps only?

If so the 1:24k maps only cover national parks in that region, not the whole region.

The regular mapsource covers the whole US, at only 1:100k though.

If you want total US coverage at 1:24k you should look at the Delorme Earthmate PN-20. Its the unit I have, and is a great unit for going deeper into the woods, with real USGS topo maps and satellite imagery

Magellan's Triton is also supposed to do 1:24k, but everything I've heard about it is really negative so I would avoid that for now.

Edited by Limhi

I assume your talking about Garmin's maps only?

If so the 1:24k maps only cover national parks in that region, not the whole region.

The regular mapsource covers the whole US, at only 1:100k though.

If you want total US coverage at 1:24k you should look at the Delorme Earthmate PN-20. Its the unit I have, and is a great unit for going deeper into the woods, with real USGS topo maps and satellite imagery

Magellan's Triton is also supposed to do 1:24k, but everything I've heard about it is really negative so I would avoid that for now.

Yes, I am talking about Garmins Maps. I was unaware I could use other maps with a Garmin GPS. I also missed the fact that the regionals are just parks.

I guess I would want the Garmin Topo US 2008, so I can use it anywhere...not just in parks?

You can't use other maps with Garmin's units.**

So yes your best bet would be to get Topo 2008.

**(While technically you can make and load custom maps to Garmin's units, it is a rather complicated process requiring the use of specialized software that is out of the scope of most end users)

Edited by Limhi

Hi All-

After lurking for a bit and caching with my Nuvi 350 (kinda fun), I have decided to pick up a vista HCx and a topo map.

Seems I can buy the entire US on 1:100000 or just my region (east coast) on 1:24000 for about the same price on dvd/cd.

I do want topo but for light hiking and caching do I need the extra detail on the regional map? ( I don't need city as I have the Nuvi for driving.)

Thanks for your input! I love the forum already!

I'm pretty similar to you. I use a Garmin C340 for my over the road nav needs. I use my Vista HCx for hiking, caching, and other off road activities. I purchased Topo 2008 and get all of the detail that I need at 1:100000. I am a former Magellan guy and have used DeLorme maps extensively in the past. The 1:24000 are awesome, but I just don't do enough for it to be a factor.

I think you'd be plenty happy with the 1:100000. If you want 1:24000 for the Eastern U.S., you can go to http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/ , click on a particular map series and then read about what it's specific attributes are. The Eastern Region encompasses a number of states, but is limited to U.S. Parks, Forests, Monuments, etc...... It does not chart every included state, square inch for square inch.

In my case, I bought a microSD card for my HCx, bought the TOPO 2008 map, and essentially have 1/2 of the entire U.S loaded on my card. It only takes up about 980kb, leaving me 1.2 mgb's for all else.

You won't be disappointed with this setup.

Regards,

G

Alhought the 1:100,000 maps are nice the 1:24,000 are real nice. To get the 1:24,000 outside of Nat Parks you really need a PN-20 handheld. If you are staying the with Garmin (like myself) but still want better software when you get home on the PC planning or reviewing your trip consider Delorme software fo the PC. The Delorme not only provides the 1:24,000 scale but a 3D view, elevation profiles, fly through viewing, and aerial photo overlay..

Although the Delorme maps will not transfer to your Garmin the track and waypoints will. So you can view and plan the track on the PC then transfer it to the Garmin for field use. Let's face it, you only have a 2.5 inch screen to work with in the field anyway, and if Father Time has paid a visit you can't see but so much anyway. However, once at home on the BIG screen you will appreciate the detail and functions of Delorme.

Just my 2cent...