travel bug question.

LECTRAGLIDE

I found 2 travel bugs today . A toy soldier bug and a jeep bug in different caches . I took neither thinking it might be a week before I went out caching again . If I thought I was going to go for another cache I would have taken the 1st bug only to move it where another bug was hiding .

Should I have taken them or left for someone else to move ?

Just curious how long is ok to keep a bug before hiding it again .

Thanks

I think it's okay to move bugs and coins if you can get it closer to it's goal or if you can log a few miles on it to get it to a cache that will put it in a position to get closer to the goal. For instance, if the bug is in a remote location and you can get it to a cache that MOVES bugs, grab it and go!

This is from the Trackables section of the Groundspeak website. Found in FAQ section.

Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?

Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know.

Once you log that you've lifted the bug or coin from a cache, and you hang on to it for a couple weeks or more, you'll be GENTLY prodded by Groundspeak to treat the bug like a hot potato and get rid of it or...at the very least, email the owner and tell them you're taking care of the bug and will move it in short order.

Also, read the goals of the bugs or coins. (ONLINE IF YOU CAN) We made the mistake of moving a bug over 1300 miles the opposite direction of it's stated goal. The owner posted coordinates instead of the name of the place they wanted it to go. We were in a hurry and I thought the coordinates were closer to where we were going. OOPS. I feel bad because the bug was pretty darned close to reaching it's goal.