Geocoin has gone missing

mookon

We currently have about 10 travel bugs out there. As would be expected, a couple have gone missing (the logs of the last cache they were seen in state "TB not present" or something to that effect). That is fine and we understand that we always risk losing these items when we send them out. However something new has happened to one of our missing geocoins. This coin has been missing from its last cache since November but this morning when I signed in, the coin's status has been changed to "Unknown Location" yet there is no mention of who changed its status on the coin's log page.

Any ideas on what happened here?

Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately when a cache owner designates the coin missing, it doesn't generate a log. Most cache owners don't know that - heck, most cache owners don't know that they can mark the coin missing.

The good news (if you can call it that) is that the cache owner has likely actually verified that your coin is not in the cache. Presumably it is in the hands of some cacher, but at least it no longer shows up where it ain't

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the cache owner could do that. This was doubly helpful because there has been a coin missing from one of our caches and now I know that I can properly remove it from the listing so as not to falsely lead people to our cache in search of a new icon.

Reviewers can also move missing trackables off of cache pages. I've done that hundreds of times in just the past six months. :P I try to educate folks by leaving the following as a note posted to the trackable's page:

As noted in the logs for the cache where it was last dropped, it appears that your trackable has gone missing. I am moving your trackable to an "unknown location." (This option is also available to the cache owner and the owner of a travel bug or geocoin.) If it ever turns up again, the finder can grab it back without affecting the mileage. I am sorry that your trackable has stopped traveling.

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer