Going to Orlando In March Need some Help & Tips

Team-Mikkelsen

Hello all :D

Finaly the 13'th of march we are leaving all the snow and cold behind and jumping over to Orlando Florida

For 17 days we are going to be in Palm Springs and of course we will do some caching . Why else go to Orlando ? ( oh yes the parks etc :D )

To build gsak databases or GPX files is a long job, and now we wonder if it is anyone who can send us a gpx file with all the Orlando caches in it ?

We have Gsak of course and if you have a gsak base over florida that would be even better :D

Is it anything we have to be carefull with looking for caches in Florida ? Snakes Spider etc ?

Any "bad" areas we should not go to ?

Btw It is INSANE many caches in Florida comared to Norway :D Cahe heaven here we come

We are traveling a bit around but not out of florida state

Is there anyone who can help us out here ? :lol:

Also we are bringing over some TB's from Norway and if there is anyone who wants their TB to have a lift back to Norway we would love to help out

Just pm us or Geocache mail us and we will give you our contact information

Thanks for reading this post :D:o

Any body of fresh water could have a gator or two in it.

Never stick your hand in a bush or under a log, there could be a poisonous snake there. Use a stick instead.

Learn to recognize poison ivy, it is very unpleasant stuff.

Carry lots of water, Florida is a bit warmer than back home.

Wear sunscreen, even if in the woods.

Bring Change for the toll roads and stop at one and ask for a toll map it will help you avoid them. The snake and aligator thing NCfinn mentioned is very important, Most of Florida is built ontop of a swamp/Bogg and poisonus critters love water. Here are a few Bad ones to watch out for because they are common: Southern ground rattler, Water Moccasin, Diamond back (i think rattle snake?). The aligators can be avoided because they mostly hang out where there is lots of water ( a pond or stream, or river). As far as spiders the Black widdow can be found in Fl as well as a similar one The Brown Widdow, Also look out for the Brown Recluse they are Prevalint in The orlando area.

:laughing:

Dont let any of that worry you though. Have fun and enjoy your trip. Most of these critters are as scared of you as you are of them so they will try to avoid humans. :laughing:

It's interesting that the people who talk about how dangerous Florida is don't even live here. I guess the same could be said about New York City...

There is a grain of truth to the statements above, but my esteemed colleague from Alabama is venturing into the realm of hysteria. It's true that our non-urban areas have their share of wildlife, both venomous and non-venomous (nothing is poisonous except the plants and mushrooms). But the majority of alligator incidents can usually be traced to human instigation - swimming at night in a canal, feeding the gators, or attempting to get close to them. Almost all snake bites occur when people try to catch them. And the majority of Florida is NOT built on swamps, bogs, moors, or similar wetlands. It's interesting to note that the majority of Disney property is built on filled wetlands but the remainder of the state (excluding the Everglades) is not. Maybe if people visited more than Disney when they came here there would be a more realistic understanding of our natural resources.

I agree that you shouldn't reach under logs or into holes without checking first. It's always a good idea to wear sunscreen and carry lots of water, especially if you aren't used to the climate. I have strong allergic reactions to poison ivy and I would defintely recommend learning more about this plant if you plan to venture beyond concrete and Mickey Mouse.

Please contact me through my profile and I'll give you some more information to help you plan some geocaching in the Orlando and central Florida area. I hope you enjoy your visit.

**Edited to correct spelling. Gee, I wish more people would do that!**

Edited by Blue Man

Blue Man & Jwe7119 and Ncfinn

Thank you all for the replies. and Blue Man thanks for the link to the Ivy thingy that was a nice looking plant and we would never have suspected that for beeing a nasty one.

Picture printed and is now i our travel map.

Ncfinn You say never stick your hand under Log / Bush... Do you hide cashes in a spceial way over there ?

Is there fireants in Florida ? we saw something like tha on Animal police ( animal Planet)

Thats one thing who is nice with Norway No snakes,no ants ans not many moskitos cause all is stiff frozen moust of the year :):)

Ps: Anyone had a gsak base or a gpx file over florida cahes ?

Yes there are fireants in Florida, and they can be pretty nasty. There are several other biting/stinging insects as well. Mosquitos can be quite a nuisance, be sure to protect yourself since they carry many diseases. There are many dangerous reptiles, however they aren't much to worry about. Poison Ivy affects everyone differently, carry some Benadryl just in case. Sunscreen and water are key to surviving in Florida, even while wandering tourist hotspots.

I haven't had the pleasure of geocaching yet, so I'm not sure about hiding of caches. But, I've seen almost everything the Florida wilderness can throw at you. Follow common sense (e.g. Don't reach into a hole blindly) and you'll be fine.

Enjoy you trip.

It's interesting that the people who talk about how dangerous Florida is don't even live here. I guess the same could be said about New York City...

I lived in Florida for 12 years and found my first 300 (or so) caches there.

I encountered plenty of snakes and plenty of gators, even found a cache container that was demolished by a gator.

Gators do not attack people, but they do get cranky if you accidentally step on them while they are sleeping on the bottom of a murky pond.

Watch out for Stingrays and Jellyfish in the ocean, too.