My 400t Colorado only has 2.78gb total internal memory

teamdw

Well this sucks. My first 400t had 3.72 of total internal memory, and with all the preloaded maps and everything my first clolorado had an extra 1.08 of free space. My new 400t only has a total of 2.78gb of internal memory and with with all the preloaded maps on it i only have 143mb of free space left. What is up with this?

Am i the only one that has this little of internal memory in the 400t?

That's not good. I hope you get on the phone to Garmin and ask them where the ~1GB went. Has the hardware changed or are they repartioning internal flash memory so you can't see it?

Hmmm.

GO$Rs

Just got off the phone with Garmin. They said that there was a hardware change on the 400t and they now have less total internal memory. :unsure: They said that there are some out there that might still have the larger memory but the new ones are only going to have 2.78gb total. :unsure:

That's not good. I hope you get on the phone to Garmin and ask them where the ~1GB went. Has the hardware changed or are they repartioning internal flash memory so you can't see it?

Hmmm.

GO$Rs

Just got off the phone with Garmin. They said that there was a hardware change on the 400t and they now have less total internal memory. :unsure: They said that there are some out there that might still have the larger memory but the new ones are only going to have 2.78gb total. :unsure:

Normally memory sizes are in powers of 2 (1GB, 2GB, 4GB). I would be really surprised to find out this was a 3GB device (with some overhead removed for other stuff Garmin doesn't make visible through the flash file system). I guess anything is possible but it just smells fishy to me.

GO$Rs

Hmmm.

GO$Rs

Just got off the phone with Garmin. They said that there was a hardware change on the 400t and they now have less total internal memory. :anibad: They said that there are some out there that might still have the larger memory but the new ones are only going to have 2.78gb total. :unsure:

Normally memory sizes are in powers of 2 (1GB, 2GB, 4GB). I would be really surprised to find out this was a 3GB device (with some overhead removed for other stuff Garmin doesn't make visible through the flash file system). I guess anything is possible but it just smells fishy to me.

GO$Rs

All i know is what they told me. But every time i call Garmin about something i get a different answer. :unsure:

This decision by Garmin seems very counterintuitive. The only benefit (among multiple drawbacks like not having maps for your PC) to purchasing a 400t was that extra free memory available for whatever. Why then would you not just go out and buy a Colorado 300 + TOPO2008? You get 366mb of free space on the unit. Just load an SD with the map info and you have way more space for tracklogs, Wherigo, and gpx files than the "NEW" 400t. Not only that but you then also have the Maps on your PC. Garmin man, sometimes you just have to wonder...

Is Garmin Stupid? Or do they think we are? :unsure:

Unless like you said GO$RS, they are starting to partition the flash so that us endusers can't be dumb enough to erase everything on the drive. If they hide that available memory and give us a "memory meter" letting us know the status in a future firmware update that would be ok i guess. It's the only logical explaination.

Edited by yogazoo

I just went to the rei store. There was a guy there that was aware or the new colorado 400t only having a total of 2.78gb. We went threw a bunch of there 400t's that they had in stock, all of them had only 2.78gb of total memory. We then checked the one they had on display. And it had 3.72gb of total memory. They let me buy that one so now i have more internal memory again.

If you have the 400t with 3.72gb internal memory you better hold on to it.

All in all i think this is a bunch of B.S. on Garmins part.

All in all i think this is a bunch of B.S. on Garmins part.

Unless Garmin comes out and tells us why this change was made, we can only speculate. I haven't even powered on my Wife's new 400t we bought last weekend. If it doesn't have the full memory, I'll probably return it. If they don't have any "full memory" versions left, I'll probably just ask for my money back.

My wife lucked out and got one of the good ones (and hers had a Garmin Wherigo geocoin in with the manual). So, no need to return hers.

...Yet. They seemed to have changed the Chipset in newer units. My web-updater updated my new 300 with "CHIPSET TYPE M" firmware as opposed to the TYPE G purported in the Colorado's. Now my Barometer doesnt work in SAVE ALWAYS mode when the unit is off. Somethin's fishy!

Well this sucks. My first 400t had 3.72 of total internal memory, and with all the preloaded maps and everything my first clolorado had an extra 1.08 of free space. My new 400t only has a total of 2.78gb of internal memory and with with all the preloaded maps on it i only have 143mb of free space left. What is up with this?

How does one check the amount of internal memory in the 400t? Rider

How does one check the amount of internal memory in the 400t? Rider

I am running windows xp and check my 400t memory like this.

First i conect the 400t with the usb cable to my computer, then i click on the start menu, then click on my computer. Then you should then see your 400t under devices with removable stoage. right click on garmin colorado (E:) then click on properties. You should now see the used space, free space, and capacity of your 400t.

Hope this helps.

First i conect the 400t with the usb cable to my computer, then i click on the start menu, then click on my computer. Then you should then see your 400t under devices with removable stoage. right click on garmin colorado (E:) then click on properties. You should now see the used space, free space, and capacity of your 400t.

Hope this helps.

That does give you the "user visible" internal memory which is about all we have to compare. One would assume that the actual internal memory of the CO is larger and Garmin shaves off a piece for their code image, data space, low level loaders, etc. My guess is that the the newer units have 3GB and the older units had 4GB. rwsmith123 informed me that some of the Nuvis actually have two flash memory devices. I was surprised by this but if the CO uses a similar design it would seem maybe they've gone from 2x2GB flash devices in the first devices to a 2GB + 1GB device configuration in the newer units. Probably takes $5 off the cost of the unit. How's that for WA speculation!?

GO$Rs

Hope this helps.

That does give you the "user visible" internal memory which is about all we have to compare. One would assume that the actual internal memory of the CO is larger and Garmin shaves off a piece for their code image, data space, low level loaders, etc. My guess is that the the newer units have 3GB and the older units had 4GB. rwsmith123 informed me that some of the Nuvis actually have two flash memory devices. I was surprised by this but if the CO uses a similar design it would seem maybe they've gone from 2x2GB flash devices in the first devices to a 2GB + 1GB device configuration in the newer units. Probably takes $5 off the cost of the unit. How's that for WA speculation!?

GO$Rs

Yea well one thing you don't need to speculate it the available memory on the new 400t is only 148mb :rolleyes: not 1.08gb like the first run of 400t's. :wacko:

Hope this helps.

GO$Rs

My 400t has 3.81GB of total RAM. I have 1.07GB free with everything loaded. Includes TOPO and about 600 waypoints. Firmware 2.54 Ser# 18Z018xxx

Yea well one thing you don't need to speculate it the available memory on the new 400t is only 148mb ;) not 1.08gb like the first run of 400t's. ;)