Waterproof log book

Rattlebars

Here's what I have used and will be using to guarantee that the logbook stays dry in any cache.

Print title one inch down the paper. Cut the paper into 11 one inch strips. Staple. Roll. Put in clear 35mm.

ef0c4218-6065-4df4-ae9e-b1caebcce1c8.jpg

You don't really mention why this paper is waterproof.

Putting a container inside another container can help with the water/dampness problems. I ran a poker run event where the envelopes of cards for one of the caches were inside a freezer bag inside a small lock-n-lock container inside of a waterproof box that was submerged in a creek with a rock on top of it to keep it underwater -- stayed completely dry. Probably wouldn't work for a permenant cache, but it worked for the event.

Not sure a film canister would be my first choice, but it is certainly better than just tossing the log book straight into the cache.

Another great way to keep your log book in great shape is to use Rite in the Rain log books. Or, if you prefer to make your own "custom" logs (for micro caches etc) you can buy Rite in the Rain All Weather Paper and print them out on your own with your own design etc. I cannot stress enough how well this paper performs in any environment. It is worth its weight in gold!

Another great way to keep your log book in great shape is to use Rite in the Rain log books. Or, if you prefer to make your own "custom" logs (for micro caches etc) you can buy Rite in the Rain All Weather Paper and print them out on your own with your own design etc. I cannot stress enough how well this paper performs in any environment. It is worth its weight in gold!

I'll second that opinion...

BUT as the OP said... will keep your log book dry???

No it won't do that...

BUT it will preserve the log, and with a simple wipe from a Kleenex or something...

You can dry it and write your own log...

Use a ball point pen, or better yet a waterproof ink pen, as opposed to a gel writer, felt tip, etc... they will still bleed when wet...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

I use that type paper, it works great but I still place it in a baggy. Though the paper is water resistant, it is not entirely waterproof, so the extra pertection helps. Another "problem" is that only ballpoint, pencil or permanant markers will work on the paper. Water soluble ink will just smear or run later, leaving a mess on the log.

O-Mega

I use that type paper, it works great but I still place it in a baggy. Though the paper is water resistant, it is not entirely waterproof, so the extra pertection helps. Another "problem" is that only ballpoint, pencil or permanant markers will work on the paper. Water soluble ink will just smear or run later, leaving a mess on the log.

O-Mega

If you find that your cache requires more protection than standard Rite in the Rain paper can provide, Rite in the Rain also offers a product line labeled "DuraRite". This product is a full synthetic paper that was created for extreme conditions. This paper is fully waterproof and can even be used underwater.

Obviously this would be ideal in the most extreme caches such as ammo cans (or other such containers) that are stored under water etc. But it never hurts to have a fully waterproof log!

We have been really impressed at our shop with everything in the Rite in the Rain line. The entire Rite in the Rain line (except for the fully synthetic paper) is completely recyclable and their covers are made from 100% post consumer recycled materials. On top of that, the only by-product of the manufacturing process is steam, inks are all made from 100% soy ink and all mill cut offs are recycled back into the manufacturing process. They really do their part to reduce the environmental impact by being a "green" company!

I use Rite in the Rain paper for my log books. I love that stuff. Even if it gets absolutely soggy, it still holds together, it doesn't shred, and and it will always take a pencil, ballpoint pen, or marker. Some water-based pens won't write on it.

However, I get lots of people complaining "the log is damp".

I go out to check and no, it's not damp, it's coated; the coating makes it feel damp.

I even had a reviewer for another state put a "needs maintenance" on one of my caches because "the log was in such bad shape"--They must have hit it when the cache had standing water on it (we've had some flooding lately) or had the wrong kind of pen, because when I went to check the next day, it was just groovy. I replaced it anyway, since it was about 3/4 full. (Save myself a second trip out there soon when it does get full).

I'm thinking of printing out a cover page that explains about the qualities of the paper so folks won't be so concerned about the slick feeling.

another idea for inexpensive...possibly free water proof paper is to use tyvek..... i always have some scraps around from my construction jobs....they work well.

Go into any FedEx store and ask for some envelopes. They're made out of this stuff. You can cut them into whatever size log book you want and then stack the pages with the blank sides (from the inside of the envelope) up and staple with a heavy duty stapler.