Armchair Cache Challenge

Street view in Google maps, and some other services opens the door to a type of armchair caching.

Here is the challenge. Can anyone find an actual listed cache visible in a street view? Bonus if you can find an archived cache that hasn't been picked up. Post a link to the right view and describe the scene so that we can verify the find for us armchair spectators & critics.

Prize? Nothing. It's a challenge for dedicated armchair cerebral athletes.

when were the street maps re-updated? i think that's the reason you can't see my large cache--most of mine were placed in September of 2007, and the maps haven't been updated recently. The 35W bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis is still in existence on Google Maps, and that was the beginning of August 2007.

Edited by meralgia

Cool thread idea. It made me check some of my urban cache locations in Google Street View for the first time. One showed the hiding place, but the cache cannot be seen. Another cache is hidden low to the ground, and the Google Photo cut off a few inches above the hiding spot. My other caches are too far off of the road or are in areas not covered by Street View.

I would not post someone else's cache without checking with the owner first, and I'm not motivated to do that.

1868 SE 50th Ave in Portland Oregon... Look at the entry way and you will see a gated entry. Right behind the gate is a red pay phone... The cache is the pay phone!

YEAH!!! I am first!

Well, what do you know! There it is right were you said it will be. BTW, the cache is GCW6EM.

22e4ecf1-6b13-4d70-98ea-a69ee7069d60.jpg

Since I did find this cache can I log it as found or do have to log it as a DNF becuase I was unable to physically sign the log. :huh:

I just discovered this feature today. My challenge has been to try and find someone caching. I have checked all the caches I can think of in Nashville that I knew would be visible from the street. No luck so far.

Disclaimer: I am only checking the ones I have found as I can know for certain thats what they are doing.

I just discovered this feature today. My challenge has been to try and find someone caching. I have checked all the caches I can think of in Nashville that I knew would be visible from the street. No luck so far.

Disclaimer: I am only checking the ones I have found as I can know for certain thats what they are doing.

If we spot someone finding one of Southpaw's caches, that could really help me out.