GPSr's with 'bottom buttons'

NevynPA

I'm looking into purchasing my own GPSr, as the Sportrak Map that I borrowed-stole (with permission) from my buddy will need returned. I'm comfortable with it, and I like the 'buttons below the screen' arrangement of the unit.

What other starter units are arranged this way? I haven't had opportunity to 'play' with other handhelds and see whether or not I like the way they feel, but visually, I'm already biased against 'buttons above the screen' and 'buttons around the edges' type units.

When I say starter unit, I'm looking at:

new or used (make an offer of a unit and price!)

sub-$100 US

preferably 2 AA powered or rechargable (not 4 AA powered) but I'm flexible depending on price

PC connectivity (USB or serial, doesn't matter)

What I'd like (optional):

SD slot

Mac connectivity (bluetooth or USB; don't want to buy USB-->serial adapter if I can help it. I'll make one from spare parts if it's known how, though!

Order of preference:

Price (very little money for "toys" at the moment)

Buttons below screen

Buttons on side

I've looked at some other threads in the Garage Sale area. I don't like the look of the Geko 201, being buttons over screen, nor do I like the Garmin 12/12XL for that (also it's 4 AA - battery hog?), but if I can find a Garmin 12 for $20-$40 on ebay the way they seem to be at the moment I'll take it simply because it's cheapest.

I only mildly looked at the Lowrance units, but they seem to be more what I'm after.

What other things should I be watching for? If it matters, I live in NE Pennsylvania, USA, and do plan on going out sometimes in the winter.

Edited by aethyrmaster

Sure there can be a comfort zone in getting used to a particular ergonomic arrangement (buttons @ bottom), but give some other units a try maybe you'll like them too. And by try I mean more than just a few moments usage, get used to it.

I had a Lowrance iFinder previously and, yep at the time it seemed a logical way of arranging a GPSr to have the buttons at the bottom. In my perspective they made sense being down there because I wouldn't be blocking the screen with my hand when using top-bottons, and "side buttons" seemed too mysterious lol. However, the downside with bottom-buttons is the majority of the GPSr was unsupported if used with one hand, and potentially easier to drop.

Later I switched to an Etrex Vista Cx that had those "dreaded" side buttons lol. After a brief orientation period I really warmed up to the Vista's control arrangement to the point that I actually prefer the side buttons. Now when I go & try the iFinder again the bottom-buttons seem weird lol

So, keep an open opinion on small issues like button placement. Don't limit yourself to a small handful of devices :smile:

The Garmin eTrex "H" is a first rate GPS with a high sensitivity receiver (thats a huge plus) for about as low a price as you can go for a new unit. I'd highly recommend it.

Don't forget to spend an extra $15 on a screen protector from http://www.invisibleshield.com/ - great product that has saved my display at least once.

Unfortunately you'd need to purchase a separate PC cable.

The Garmin GPSMAP 60 is priced low ($145), has buttons below the screen, and comes with a USB PC cable, but it doesn't have the high sensitivity chipset.

Sure there can be a comfort zone in getting used to a particular ergonomic arrangement (buttons @ bottom), but give some other units a try maybe you'll like them too. And by try I mean more than just a few moments usage, get used to it.

I had a Lowrance iFinder previously and, yep at the time it seemed a logical way of arranging a GPSr to have the buttons at the bottom. In my perspective they made sense being down there because I wouldn't be blocking the screen with my hand when using top-bottons, and "side buttons" seemed too mysterious lol. However, the downside with bottom-buttons is the majority of the GPSr was unsupported if used with one hand, and potentially easier to drop.

Later I switched to an Etrex Vista Cx that had those "dreaded" side buttons lol. After a brief orientation period I really warmed up to the Vista's control arrangement to the point that I actually prefer the side buttons. Now when I go & try the iFinder again the bottom-buttons seem weird lol

So, keep an open opinion on small issues like button placement. Don't limit yourself to a small handful of devices :lol:

Side buttons are my second choice. I don't have anything against them at the moment - I'd be willing to go that route quite readily if it feels good to use. Top buttons are definitely last choice, unless I find a super deal on a unit.

Thanks for the informed input!

The eXplorist 500 seems to be a good deal right now. The regular 500 is cheap at costco.com for a little above $100. There are reports that some Walmarts are selling the eXplorist 500LE for under $90. The 500 is a very good unit for that price, it was a near-the-top-of-the-line model. Most GPS receivers in this price range have no map features.

The eXplorist 500 seems to be a good deal right now. The regular 500 is cheap at costco.com for a little above $100. There are reports that some Walmarts are selling the eXplorist 500LE for under $90. The 500 is a very good unit for that price, it was a near-the-top-of-the-line model. Most GPS receivers in this price range have no map features.

They're closing out the device, I just bought a 500LE from the local Wally, The Very last one, for $75.00,

but right at rpesent, cannot register it with Magellan, the website won't recognize the serial # as a valid

pattern. (entered both as the one from the preferences/about page, and with extra numbers from the label inside, and on the box bottom.)

(and, without the right number, I'm sunk on getting the latest firmware upgrade.)

I still use a couple of Garmin ETrex models (basic, Legend, and Venture HC) which keep me going in geocaching, but I'd love to see this one perform. Imagining putting all 6000+ local caches into a nice cheap $19.98 SanDisk SD card also bought. :)

Stephen (gelfling6)