Skiing in South Africa

QFC

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am currently trying to organise a get away for some of my Jo'bug friends and would like to use this opportunity to learn to Ski. (yes.... bla bla bla... some of us have the life) I would have loved to invite all of you, but some of my friends are scared off by the word geocaching :mad:

Anyway, I am currently looking at Tiffendell as the main option since then the Ski Lessons will be cheap, but am interested to hear what you guys think or know.

And hey if you want to talk about geocaching, maybe you can mention some caches that are in the relative area.

Lets see how this topic goes.... :mad:

Thanks in advace

F

I have heard that it is rather expensive to ski at Tiffendal. Never been there though...

Looking through their website their slopes look like little more than bunny slopes (good to learn on but boring after a few runs).

*Note: I learned to snowboard in the Grand Tetons of the Rocky Mountains so I am biased on this topic. :D

I have never been to Tiffendell or been skiing, so I can't comment on any of that. But I had done all the caches in the area. There are three in the Rhodes area and one on the way there. Bell river bends (GCV2M8) had a good view and will worth a visit. The other two in the area, I did in the Dark while snow was fallen so can't really comment on there views. I did enjoy them never the less. Hope you enjoy your skiing and that you manager to get some caches done when your friends are not looking.

Well, here's me caching and skiing day before yesterday in Austria :D

01a0576a-0f9e-48ff-9418-6927771dc544.jpg

As for Tiffendell. The last time I enquired (a few years ago) it just wasn't worth it. If one removes the price of an air ticket, the cost of skiing in Tiff was the same as going to a massive resort in Europe. Considering that one can go to one of the largest ski areas in the world (somewhere like 3 valleys) and enjoy premium snow and 1000's of km of piste, Tiff just isn't an option.

Perhaps things have changed, but I'd say work on saving a few more pence and head to Europe.

Hey GR, looks like you are having a "fridged" time up north! The powder looks soft, hope you made some snow angels while en route to those caches. :huh:

Awesome powder which made for great skiing and boarding. Between -4C and -10C, so quite warm by Canadian Rockies standards ;)

Was worried I wouldn't get up again after doing snow angels. Sank through about 40cm of powder just off the piste ;)

Managed another cache placed in a gorge between two of the ski areas. Awesome iced over waterfalls. Some chaps were doing their ice-wall climbing thing. I thought they were nuts especially after walking past one of these ice monoliths only to return two minutes later to discover that a whole chunk of those sharp icicles had broken off. :huh:

Joys of caching in the snow and ice ... at least no bears!