Newbie overload

lcseds

Hello. So, I'm new to this and have been reading a lot on this forum. Too much perhaps. I realize selecting a GPS is a personal matter, but I'd like to ask for opinions if there is something obvious I'm not considering. I want to geocache with my family. I have an older Garmin i5 auto GPS with 2008 maps. I'm satisfied with that and only want a hand held for caching only.

So, the three I was considering is the Legend HCx, The Vista HCx, and the Venture HC. I think the only thing I need afterward is maybe TOPO maps, which makes the HC seem like a good, inexpensive start. I'll use the auto GPS to get me near the cache I suppose, then hike with the portable. But, If I read right, the Vista HCx compass keeps the pointer in the direction of the cache? And no others do this? That might be very valuable to someone starting out. I want to keep the expense down to make sure this is a hit with the family. Right now, my wife is snickering with the idea, so I'd probably be hung out to dry if I ran out and bout a $300-400 device for this.

Anyway, I know this is repetitive for y'all, but I appreciate some starter help.

Thanks.

My suggestion is the Legend Hcx as it will allow you to add maps and things later, which you probably will want to do.

If you just want to save money, get an etrex H. It will be just as accurate and sensitive, just no maps. It would be a good low cost choice to see if you like the whole caching thing.

The compass in the Vista is not needed or really very usefull with these newer "H" units, IME.

My suggestion is the Legend Hcx as it will allow you to add maps and things later, which you probably will want to do.

If you just want to save money, get an etrex H. It will be just as accurate and sensitive, just no maps. It would be a good low cost choice to see if you like the whole caching thing.

The compass in the Vista is not needed or really very usefull with these newer "H" units, IME.

I agree with Red90 on the compass issue. I own a Vista HCx and I've disable the compass because it only works if held just right and I never really trusted it in the first place since, but that's another story.

I purchased my Vista HCx and Topo's were included in the box. It was purchased in late May of 2007 for around $350.00 or so. I'm sure you could find a new Vista HCx for around $250. I did not purchase Navigator NT (street maps) since the base map and Topo maps have provided enough street detail to get from point A to B in this part of the country.

Legend HCx or Vista HCx are both great units with awesome features and any of the eTrex "H" units would be more than sufficient as a starter unit.

Good luck on making your selection!!

Hello. So, I'm new to this and have been reading a lot on this forum. Too much perhaps. I realize selecting a GPS is a personal matter, but I'd like to ask for opinions if there is something obvious I'm not considering. I want to geocache with my family. I have an older Garmin i5 auto GPS with 2008 maps. I'm satisfied with that and only want a hand held for caching only.

So, the three I was considering is the Legend HCx, The Vista HCx, and the Venture HC. I think the only thing I need afterward is maybe TOPO maps, which makes the HC seem like a good, inexpensive start. I'll use the auto GPS to get me near the cache I suppose, then hike with the portable. But, If I read right, the Vista HCx compass keeps the pointer in the direction of the cache? And no others do this? That might be very valuable to someone starting out. I want to keep the expense down to make sure this is a hit with the family. Right now, my wife is snickering with the idea, so I'd probably be hung out to dry if I ran out and bout a $300-400 device for this.

Anyway, I know this is repetitive for y'all, but I appreciate some starter help.

Thanks.

I have the Vista HCx and like it. I have City Navigator maps on it for auto-routing, and also have Topo maps on it. I got the auto-routing maps in a combination package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter. I got the Topo maps second-hand on eBay. The small size of the Vista HCx is nice for hiking.

I would avoid the Etrex H as it uses a serial connection only, and many of today's computer's no longer support it. You'll be entering coords by hand and that can get tedious and frustrating if you mis-enter just one number.

Since you already have a Garmin i5, you are wise to consider the Venture HC. It's 24mb of internal memory is enough for several mapsets of Topo. The mapsets vary in size, but to give you an idea, a typical mapset is 300mb which covers roughly 500 sqaure miles. I repeat, mapsets vary widely - from 150mb up to 1.5mb, but the Venture HC will hold enough for the majority of your trips.

That being said, I had a Venture Cx with removable media and auto-routing capability. But, when the Vista HCx came out, I could not pass up what I still perceive to be an excellent value at $235. I was comparing this to the $325 I paid for a Vista five years ago - it is non-color, non-autorouting, 32mb memory, etc...

"I have the Vista HCx and like it. I have City Navigator maps on it for auto-routing, and also have Topo maps on it. I got the auto-routing maps in a combination package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter. I got the Topo maps second-hand on eBay. The small size of the Vista HCx is nice for hiking."

Thanks everyone. So, the best bet for the HCx is a memory card then maps on CD? If the preloaded SD micro cards are used, then you have to switch between Topo and Auto routes?

Edited by lcseds

Thanks everyone. So, the best bet for the HCx is a memory card then maps on CD? If the preloaded SD micro cards are used, then you have to switch between Topo and Auto routes?

Don't get preloaded maps. You can not use them on the computer.

I'll expand on the compass issue. With these "H" units, the GPS position changes very quickly, so you only need to move a few feet for the navigation arrow to align properly. With older units that required a lot of movement, the compass helped as you could get direction without moving. However, the Garmin compasses are difficult to use. Because of this, the compass does not provide much improvement and the easiest way to navigate is simply to keep moving a little. "Most" people find the compass a "problem" as it stays on when moving and this causes the arrow to swing and show the incorrect direction.

I would avoid the Etrex H as it uses a serial connection only, and many of today's computer's no longer support it. You'll be entering coords by hand and that can get tedious and frustrating if you mis-enter just one number.

You simply use a USB/serial adapter.

I just bought an eTrex H, and I am frustrated with it. I have the USB to serial adapter, but is there a way to enter coordinates manually? Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks.

You simply use a USB/serial adapter.

$89 Etrex H

$20 Serial cable ($30 for Garmin cable)

$30 USB-serial converter ($50 for Garmin adapter)

----------------------------

$139 - the GPS is black/white and has no internal memory for maps.

$119 without the serial cable.

$133 Etrex Venture HC - comes with USB cable; has color screen and 24mb of memory.

For an additional $14, I think the choice is, simply, obvious. ;)

Edited by Chuy!

ou simply use a USB/serial adapter.

$89 Etrex H

$20 Serial cable ($30 for Garmin cable)

$30 USB-serial converter ($50 for Garmin adapter)

----------------------------

$139 - the GPS is black/white and has no internal memory for maps.

$119 without the serial cable.

There are cheaper ways

$10 cables and $5 USB/serial adapters are on eBay with shipping. So that is $104 versus $133.