first cache...need help

mdrj6783

O.K., so I've been reading through the posts on this forum and am ready (along with my 8 year old son) to go out and look for our first cache.

We have located one in our neighborhood that we plan to go look for. Can someone please walk me through the process.

I have added the coordinates to mapsource as a waypoint. I haven't yet figured out if my gps will accept the cache as a dowload from this sight (Garmin Legacy). My plan is to get close from the directions, then navigate to the waypoint with the gps. Is this the best way to go about it?

When I find the cache I'm assuming that we sign the log, then take an item and leave an item and return to this sight and log in the find. Is that it or is there more we need to do?

What if we find a coin or travel bug? Do we leave them at the next find? My son loves coins, so he's super excited to see what they look like.

Thanks,

Mike

O.K., so I've been reading through the posts on this forum and am ready (along with my 8 year old son) to go out and look for our first cache.

We have located one in our neighborhood that we plan to go look for. Can someone please walk me through the process.

I have added the coordinates to mapsource as a waypoint. I haven't yet figured out if my gps will accept the cache as a dowload from this sight (Garmin Legacy). My plan is to get close from the directions, then navigate to the waypoint with the gps. Is this the best way to go about it?

When I find the cache I'm assuming that we sign the log, then take an item and leave an item and return to this sight and log in the find. Is that it or is there more we need to do?

What if we find a coin or travel bug? Do we leave them at the next find? My son loves coins, so he's super excited to see what they look like.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome aboard!

If your gps unit is supported in mapsource you should be able to download it to your gps.

You plan is pretty good. Just bear in mind when your gps says your on top of the cache, it might still be 10-20 feet away. Some even say 60 feet. There are errors on your unit placing you at the cache, as were errors when the cache owner took the co-ordinates.

Yep be sure to sign the log. Swapping swat is fun, but not required. Bring your own pen or pencil just in case. This is not a micro, is it? If it is I would suggest you look for a larger cache as your first cache. Micros can be difficult for even experienced cachers.

If you find a travel bug or geocoin you can take it (regardless of any cache "rules" of take one and leave one) and move it to the next cache. Just be sure you log the traveler on the travel bug page. Once you have logged it as retrieved it will appear in your inventory. The next time you log a cache you will see a drop down list near the bottom of the page. You can use this to select the traveler if you are placing it in the cache your logging.

I assume you have a Garmin Legend??? The origiinal blue one??

Mapsource will work find but EasyGPS is a free programthat bworks nicely as well. Look into the Garmin Communicator Plug-in for your browser to download single cache coordinates from the listing page directly.

Use the compass screen after selecting the point you want to find and clicking goto.

Wise advice to put the GPS away and start looking for likely hiding places when it says you are within 20-30 feet.

When you find the cache - sign the log and place it back then when you get home return to the web site to log a "found it" type log.

Move all trackables to another cache to help them on thier journey.

Thanks,

Mike

Other followups have covered most of it.

I second the recommendation for EasyGPS or ExpertGPS for managing waypoints. When you find that first cache, you'll want to find another one, and another, and another.... It's nice to have all of the waypoints for caches iin an area readily available.

Not mentioned in previous responses was making sure to read the cache listing. If there is a hint, read it (once you get better you can try finding caches without them) and you can often find useful information in the logs. In fact, before you start to search for your first cache you might try looking at listings for "traditional caches" in your area which have a difficulty rating of 1-2, with a cache size of small or larger, and maybe even some spoiler photos in the logs. You can print off the listings, just right down some relevant information from it, or check out some of the paperless caching options.

If you find the cache, you should always sign the log in the cache. You'll see how other caches sign when you see it. For some (probably most) caches, just the date and your geocaching handle are sufficient. When you get home you should enter a log for the listing for any cache for which you made a reasonable search, whether you found it or not. You can select "Found It", "Didn't Find It" or one of the other options. In either case, you can write something about the search (i.e. My First Cache!) but don't write anything in the logs that would give away the location. It's very useful to the cache owner and other caches if you log when you did not find it, especially if you find evidence that the cache might be missing, but again, don't give away too much information. You can always send email to the cache owner with more detail and most cache owners are glad to provide a hint or two if you're having trouble finding one of their caches.

Regarding travel bugs or coins: It's up to you whether or not you grab a TB or coin, but it's often worth checking the listing before hand to see if the TB or coin has a specific "mission". A lot of people just "discover" TBs or coins. Basically you just admire it while at the cache site, write down the tracking number off the coin or TB tag then log a "Discovered It" for the item when you log your cache find. "Discovered" logs are sent to the TB/coin owner and confirms the location. Occasionally these items go missing so it's nice , for a cache owner (and other caches that might want to see a specific TB/coin) that the time is where the geocaching.com site claims.

Wow, thanks for all the help! You guys really put some time into your responses and I appreciate it.

Helped me find my 1st cache. I think I did it right.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b8-93b24702c36e

Mike

Mike,

To log the travelers, note the tracking number on the coin/tag. On the main page on the left side you will see Trackable Items. Click that and around the middle of the page you will see a place to enter the tracking number. (You do them one at a time). Once you log them they show up in your inventory. The next time you log a cache you will see near the bottom of the log page a list of the trackables in your inventory. You can click the one(s) your dropping. Unless you want to add to the trackable log there is no need to go back to the trackable log page.

Jim