Query about missing coin and cache page

M0zez

Hi Guys n Gals

Just back from a quick weekend in Dublin to see the family. Of course I took a little m0zez time and did 17 caches over 3 days (I am quite pleased with that), I got to see a few interesting urban areas of Dublin I had not been to.

So to the questions...

On my cache page GC13BJM the inventory states a geocoin is present TBVE9W. This geocoin was retrieved from the cache last September and looks like it has been stolen from the cacher who discovered it. What should I do in this situation? I feel really bad for the owner of the coin. How do I remove the coin from the inventory so expectant cachers are not disappointed. Also is their a missing list the coin can go onto?

Also... I am seriously thinking of getting a Garmin Colorado, does anyone know if the current Topo Maps of GB V 2.00 is compatible with this model? Will shaded relief work with this map set?

Thanks guys

M0zez

Edited by M0zez

There is not a lot you can really do when it comes to a Geocoin being stolen from a Geocache the best bet would be to inform the owner of the coin about the coin and that it has gone missing.

Im sure they wont put up a stink with you, and would be thankful to the fact you was caring enough to tell them about the news.

Hope thing's work out.

.Kismet.

It is possible to stop a lost TB appearing in the inventory of a cache you own. Either the TB owner or yourself can move it to the ghostly place 'Unknown...' to stop it appearing on your cache's inventory.

Just go to the trackable's page, select "Mark item missing" from the list on the right (the only option) and click the little OK button next to it. It can easily be moved back from 'Unknown...' if it's later found.

I'd email the TB owner as a courtesy first, though...

It is possible to stop a lost TB appearing in the inventory of a cache you own. Either the TB owner or yourself can move it to the ghostly place 'Unknown...' to stop it appearing on your cache's inventory.

Just go to the trackable's page, select "Mark item missing" from the list on the right (the only option) and click the little OK button next to it. It can easily be moved back from 'Unknown...' if it's later found.

I'd email the TB owner as a courtesy first, though...

for those who haven't done this before, the "Mark item missing" is located in the drop down list at the bottom of the Navigation box which shows "Recalculate Distance". When chosen the page does not refresh, a small red box appears at the top of the page [which is easily missed] to confirm the action which has to be clicked on. Only then is the TB/Coin moved to Unknown Location. Please if you use this option, post a note to the TB page [you don't need the tracking No] stating you have done this. Moving the TB/Coin to Unknown location, does not generate a notification email to the owner, but the Note will.

I asked once before in another thread but nobody answered. I thought a cache of mine had been muggled with a coin in it, fortunately it was just well hidden, but I would have felt awful if the coin had gone along with the cache.

I wanted to know if I had bought a duplicate coin to replace the stolen/missing one, could it be tied in with the old tracking number to continue it's travels?

I asked the following question once before in another thread but nobody answered. I thought a cache of mine had been muggled with a coin in it, fortunately it was just well hidden, but I would have felt awful if the coin had gone along with the cache.

I wanted to know if I had bought a duplicate coin to replace the stolen/missing one, could it be tied in with the old tracking number to continue it's travels?

Edited by Team Skully

I asked the following question once before in another thread but nobody answered. I thought a cache of mine had been muggled with a coin in it, fortunately it was just well hidden, but I would have felt awful if the coin had gone along with the cache.

I don't think that would be possible, because the whole point of the geocoin tracking numbers is that they are unique to the individual coins. The only way I could imagine you might get around the system would be to attach some tag to the newly activated replacement coin saying something like "Please use tracking number PCHwxyz when logging this geocoin and NOT the number that appears on the coin itself." If that tag ever became detached from the geocoin then some confusion would ensue! :lol:

Whilst I understand your feelings about a coin getting lost from one of your caches (It has happened to us), all geocachers accept the risks of the Game of Trackables and a cache muggling is just one of many unfortunate ways that a geocoin can disappear from circulation. I think the most you can do in this situation is to inform the owner of what has happened and offer your sympathy. If you intend to replace the muggled cache, consider whether you can place it in another safer spot.

If it's a TB that's "gone missing" from your cache you could always ask the owner whether they would like to send you a replacement TB on their duplicate tag, which could then be placed somewhere near to where the original disappeared. This is a good way to continue a mission, particularly if the TB belongs to a child who may be following its travels.

MrsB :rolleyes: