National Park letter

weigle

I want to write a "please let us geocache in here" letter to the park superintendant in the park I wish to cache in. Does anyone have some type of template for a letter such as this or have previously written a premission letter they wouldn't mind me plagiarizing :smile:

- jeremy

You can steal from this one if you like:

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______. If you are

not familiar with the term geocache, it's the focal point of a sport called geocaching.

Geocaching entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually containing a log book and trinkets, then using a Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting

people outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic interest.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a

beneficial, low impact activity and encourage the sport on their lands. They see the

additional visitors and increased exposure that geocaching brings as a plus.

Similarly, geocachers often discover exciting new places through the sport,

while getting exercise and gaining an appreciation for these areas.

I believe that ________ is one of the special places that would be of interest

to geocachers and would like to explore the possibility of my placing a

geocache there. Please contact me at_________ to discuss this.

Thank You,

It is usually better to ask in person though.

In person would be the very best way. If you can get them to sit down and talk with you, you'll be a bit ahead. Ask if they'd like to join you on a hunt (and make sure it's a cache which you've found before...and is in place) to let them see how it all works!

I did exactly this with my local state park, the managers were very receptive and we are all great friends now...I also host our camp/cache event there!!

Briansnat's letter looks great though. If you can find and print out the "How does Geocaching work" page, it's also very informative and something you can simply hand the manager as you get into your presentation!

The recent thread on NPS Policy includes a link to the recently published policy document. Since you are talking NPS, it would be a super good idea to be thoroughly familiar with this document before making contact. Very like you will then know more about the policy than the local land manager, so be prepared to do some explaining and to give them time to study. If no other caches have been placed on lands in their jurisdiction, then you need to offer to help them develop the local policy. (Basically what the document says is that caching on NPS lands is now local policy, and provides some guidelines and resources.)

Edward