Giant Scroll Log!

swizzle

I recently bought a 37" howitzer rocket tube. It has a nice rubber seal and it screws down tight. I'm planning on making a giant scroll log to put inside it. I bought the paper home from work tonight. Its about 35" wide and maybe 25 feet long. The problem is that the paper is rather stiff. I'm wondering how to connect it to a rod or pole so that it will still roll up nice and somewhat tight. My first thoughts were to drill some holes in a broom handle and then saw it lengthwise so I can put the paper in between and screw it down tight. I'm afraid that it would roll the paper to tight and it would be impossible to unroll to sign. Any idea's? The tube is 5" in diameter. I'm gonna name it "The Grand Daddy of All Micro's" and in the description say that it contains a scroll log and a pencil. Now I gotta find one of those jumbo pencils. Of course I'll have to leave the size as Unknown. Swizzle

That is a great container; I have had one out in the wild for nearly five years and I've never had a problem. Nearly every log says "cool container." I've only needed to visit twice for maintenance -- once to change out a full logbook, and once because the hiding place had fallen apart.

Be sure to remove all the military markings, and to label the tube as a geocache. It's the sort of thing that's likely to cause a bomb scare if discovered by muggles or if geocachers are seen logging in. Mine's hidden pretty deep in the woods of a suburban park, with the knowledge of park management.

I recently bought a 37" howitzer rocket tube. It has a nice rubber seal and it screws down tight. I'm planning on making a giant scroll log to put inside it. I bought the paper home from work tonight. Its about 35" wide and maybe 25 feet long. The problem is that the paper is rather stiff. I'm wondering how to connect it to a rod or pole so that it will still roll up nice and somewhat tight. My first thoughts were to drill some holes in a broom handle and then saw it lengthwise so I can put the paper in between and screw it down tight. I'm afraid that it would roll the paper to tight and it would be impossible to unroll to sign. Any idea's? The tube is 5" in diameter. I'm gonna name it "The Grand Daddy of All Micro's" and in the description say that it contains a scroll log and a pencil. Now I gotta find one of those jumbo pencils. Of course I'll have to leave the size as Unknown. Swizzle

Great idea. I'd laugh pretty hard if I found that while expecting to find a micro. If I was FTF I'd write my name across the full 35 inches.

To avoid rolling too tight, could you use a large cardboard tube (the kind that wrapping paper comes on, or maybe even the paper you got from work came on one)? These will have more diameter than a broom handle, but it should still fit within 5". You could glue/tape/staple it to the tube.

I think the old fashioned scroll idea may be the way to go. Its still on the tube from work but the tube it comes on is a full 12 inches across. The paper itself is more of a paperboard. I know you guys have seen this type of paper before. If you've ever been to a county fair and bought food that comes in a paper dish then chances are we made it. The scoop or cup that french fries comes in is basically the same stuff. It's definately durable. Maybe I could just cut of a 5 foot long piece and roll it loose and just set it in the tube. Kind of a "feel free to sign anywhere" log. I was thinking about putting in a couple of sharpies and let people choose the color they want to sign with. Since the paper is free they could always sign as big as they want. Swizzle