Trouble finding a cache

nneonneo

Hi:

I'm new to Geocaching, and I was looking for my first cache today (GC185DW -- nano cache in a parking lot).

My question is: what is a "lampskirt" cache? I assumed it was the metal ring on the lamp, but I found nothing underneath the few lamps I searched.

However, the cache was found as recently as three days ago, so I don't think it's missing -- I am just not looking hard enough, I guess.

Thanks!

Yeah.....nanos might not make the best starting caches....although lamps skirts are usually easy. The skirt is the movable metal cover at the bottom (sometimes also called a dust cover).

Not sure this is a nano. From reading the logs and the hint I would guess this is a magnetic key holder.

A nano could be a blinker. A blinker is about the size of the end of your little finger. I've seen those used in lpc hides. You got to know what your looking for and they can be a real bugger to find. Briansnat gave good advice. Start with nothing smaller than a small. After you start finding some you can go back and try the nanos.

Jim

The trouble really seems to be that this is one of the few caches I have ready access to -- there's not a lot within walking distance and the bus routes are rather aggravating sometimes. I will probably get a bike in the spring, but as of now I just have my two feet (and a bus pass, but that's not that useful around here...).

As for the nano: I found a little bead thing which was magnetic, but it's about 1cm across, definitely too small to have anything. That's about all I found. There was a pile of grass/hay sandwiched between the big concrete pillar and the metal base, and I tried to pull it out and it wouldn't move. Then, I realized the same hay is present on most of the posts, so I don't think that was it.

I lifted the lamp cover fairly high, and looked down and up (up into the lamp skirt, down at the big bolts) but didn't notice anything out of palce (just a ton of rust). I have a feeling I'm missing something -- tomorrow I am going to go back there and find out.

"Magnetic" is the hint, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's magnetically attached to some obscure surface of the lamp.

I lifted the lamp cover fairly high, and looked down and up (up into the lamp skirt, down at the big bolts) but didn't notice anything out of palce (just a ton of rust). I have a feeling I'm missing something -- tomorrow I am going to go back there and find out.

Another possibility is that it is UNDER the plate with the bolts (under the skirt). There is usually a space between the metal plate and the concrete....

The description from the cache page does not sound like a nano....unless he's making an ironic joke with the "not putting it in a baggie."

As for the nano: I found a little bead thing which was magnetic, but it's about 1cm across, definitely too small to have anything.

DING! DING! Give that man a kewpie doll. You found a blinker. Pull that little sucker off, unscrew the top, get out your tweezers to remove the log and sign. You probably won't be able to swap much in the way of swag ;) The fun starts when you try to roll the log back up to put it back in. Hint - put the log in the top, the end opposite the magnet.

Jim

Edited by jholly

As for the nano: I found a little bead thing which was magnetic, but it's about 1cm across, definitely too small to have anything.

DING! DING! Give that man a kewpie doll. You found a blinker. Pull that little sucker off, unscrew the top, get out your tweezers to remove the log and sign. You probably won't be able to swap much in the way of swag ;) The fun starts when you try to roll the log back up to put it back in. Hint - put the log in the top, the end opposite the magnet.

Jim

he's right. chances are you found it. often time if the hint is "magnetic", it is usually a key holder. but in this case it is even smaller.

o_O That was it?? It's awfully small, and it wouldn't be hard to lose the thing in the snow :D

I'm pretty sure I left it back on the post, but if I dropped it by accident I'm in big trouble.

There's space for a log in that thing?

the log is not very large. bring some tweezers and write small

Jim

There's a funny story there -- of the four readily accessible caches (i.e. not requiring very long walks or public transportation), I've found the two micros (I don't think they count as nanos, though I may be mistaken -- I found a film canister cache and a matchbox sized cache), and I've failed to find the other two, which are both regular sized.

Of course, the complicating factor is snow -- both regular caches are on the ground, and I have no idea what I'm looking for under the snow.