Garmin 12

kpal67

It should still work fine. It's a 12 channel receiver so reception should be good. I believe it only supports six character waypoint names so you might have to use software that can drop the "GC" from the latest geocaches codes.

Edited by PDOP's

In my opinion the 12 series were the best case style Garmin has yet made,very rugged,using my GPS 12 I could go anywhere my 76CSX will take me,just had to know how to use a map and compass due to the lack of GPS maps,but it will work just fine for geocaching using its own map screen.

It should still work fine. It's a 12 channel receiver so reception should be good. I believe it only supports six character waypoint names so you might have to use software that can drop the "GC" from the latest geocaches codes.

what soft ware might that be?

GSAK for one. See Special Tags

%drop2 - allows you to generate waypoints similar to the GCXXXX ones but without the needless GC at the front. For example, the cache GCAF12 which is a large multi cache, could be generated with the tags of %con1%typ1%drop2 to yield LMAF12. All the other tags used in the description format are available (and vice versa), but whatever tags you use, the total length of the resulting waypoint will be chopped off at the setting for "Maximum characters".