Paperless Caching with Blackberry?

triturtle

I use a take my Blackberry Curve with me while geocaching and have often used the web browser to log onto geocaching.com to look up cache details to help me in my search. I often find that reading through the log entries can help me out when I'm stuck. The only problems with this are that sometimes I am out of cell tower range and can't get a signal and the browser is cumbersome, though functional.

Does anybody know an easy and effective way to download the details of a cache, or better yet a list of caches to a file that can be stored and read on a Blackberry?

I see that you can download the cache details along with up to 10 log entries as a PDF. This works okay, but you have to do it one cache at a time.

Another option is to use the .gpx file that is my weekly pocket query. All the data is in that file, but the trick is to turn it into a file that I can pull up and read on the blackberry.

Better ideas?

Edited by triturtle

I received an email that prompted me to try to figure this out for myself. Here is what I came up with. It looks like a lot of work, but after the first time it takes less than 5 minutes to do.

The GPX file I have is missing a bunch of data fields so this solution only gives you SOME of the information for each cache. I will keep working on it and post and email you the final instructions if/when I get it done.

To load geocaches into blackberry as contacts:

Step A - Prepare Pocket Query File for Import

1. Open your pocket query *.GPX file in Excel

2. Name the data range by highlighting the complete data set, then menus Insert, Name, Define and give it a name

3. Save the file as an excel file (ie: GClist.xls)

4. Close the file

Step B - Importing to Outlook

1. In Outlook go to menus File, Import and Export, Import from another program of file (next>)

2. Microsoft Excel (next>)

3. Select your XLS file and pick replace duplicates (next>)

4. Select your contact folder as the location to add them (next>)

5. Click the box next to the name you gave the data set, then click the Map Custom Fields button

6. Drag the data field names from the data set on the left to the outlook field names on the right. I did it this way:

6a. ns1:name3 = Name (full name, not just first or last)

6b. ns1:name = Company

6c. ns1:type = Job Title

6d. ns1:urlname6 = Business Address

6e. ns1:desc4 = Notes

6f. ns1:url5 = Web Page

7. Hit OK, then Finish and they are imported.

Next steps require some data manipulation in excel prior to importing

1. Cache first listing date

2. Coordinates

Further steps require getting this data into the pocket query file

1. Cache Notes

Final steps will be trickier

1. Cache log notes

Hope this helps. Please send me comments about easier ways, or where I am just plain wrong.

Edited by triturtle

I use a take my Blackberry Curve with me while geocaching and have often used the web browser to log onto geocaching.com to look up cache details to help me in my search. I often find that reading through the log entries can help me out when I'm stuck.

Does anybody know an easy and effective way to download the details of a cache, or better yet a list of caches to a file that can be stored and read on a Blackberry?

I have a Blackberry 8820 and have been using GeocacheNavigator and it has worked great. I have finally been able to truly do paperless caching. It is so cool to find myself someplace with a little bit of extra time and be able to pull down the nearby caches, read their descriptions, use a street map to find the best way to get close by car, review the recent logs, and see any hints if necessary. The GPS in my Blackberry seems to be much more accurate than my Garmin GPS. The only down sides I've encountered so far is battery life (definitely need to recharge every night and in the car if keeping the screen on for long periods) and the potential of being out of range (I have not yet used it in remote areas).