Garmin 60csx help please

I love my new GPS and have used it to find some traditional caches. I transfer files through MacCaching. However, I am not sure about multi caches, how can I check to see if all of the waypoints have transferred? I click on the long name and the first set comes up, once there and I click 'found' will the next ones come up? Are they in a different section somewhere? I don't want to set off for a multi cache and find that I don't have all the co-ordinates I need once I have done the first stage.

Can anyone help please?

Hi Team S

I have a csx I have been using for a six months. I use Garmin MapSource to place cache waypoints etc. then transfer to device.

As far as multi caches go I have found that as long as the cache page on geocaching.com has the multi in the new format see below for email from a moderator (08/07) explaining:

"Since 20th January 2006 it has been possible to use the "Additional Waypoints" function to store intermediate/final waypoints in a standardised way (see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p=2099537 for instructions). Could I ask you to add your waypoints in this way please. Anything that is "secret," like the final location of the cache, can be hidden from view by anyone except you as the cache owner, and site admins/volunteers. Waypoints such as parking coordinates can be viewed by anyone.

Please note when creating multiple waypoints for a cache, do not edit the details of a previous one and click on the create waypoint button as this will simply overwrite what has been created. Instead click on the create another waypoint link at the top of the page. This will take you to a new page with all the boxes blank. At the bottom of the page you will see a list of all waypoints already created for that cache page."

If the cache page is set up this way when I open in GPX format all the multi stages and or parking etc. are set as individual waypoints (however some editing of the waypoint name goes a long way to understanding what waypoint and or stage is in sequence). This way when you reach the parking (for example) and you select found > find next, the next in the sequence will activate.

On older multi pages you either have to create a waypoint manually or do it in the field. Not sure if this helps, best of luck. Happy Caching.

M0zez

I love my new GPS and have used it to find some traditional caches. I transfer files through MacCaching. However, I am not sure about multi caches, how can I check to see if all of the waypoints have transferred? I click on the long name and the first set comes up, once there and I click 'found' will the next ones come up? Are they in a different section somewhere? I don't want to set off for a multi cache and find that I don't have all the co-ordinates I need once I have done the first stage.

Can anyone help please?

Am I being dim :) The waypoints on my multi are declared when submitting the cache, but hidden from users, so I wouldn't expect them to be downloaded to anyones unit. That sort of defeats the object doesn't it?

Most multi's contain all or part of the co-ords for the next stage, or a puzzle that results in some new co-ords don't they?

sorry if I've misinterpreted your post.

Am I being dim :) The waypoints on my multi are declared when submitting the cache, but hidden from users, so I wouldn't expect them to be downloaded to anyones unit. That sort of defeats the object doesn't it?

On a multi - the waypoints of the other caches are indeed hidden (as long as you've specified it). But on a multi, you might have reference points to plaques or signs etc. By including those as waypoints the cacher then does have the correct co-ords. Always useful if caching in the rain too. Paper is hard to write on when wet! :)

Don't forget too, that you can include additional waypoints, child waypoints for useful information like parking or the trailhead (entrance to the footpath).

The one I am looking at is "Finding Faversham' there are a number of waypoints to go to so that clues can be collected, once those numbers are collected they all go to find the cache. When I look at the listing on my GPS I can just see the first set of co-ors.

You have a 60CSx. Are you pressing Find->Geocache? If so you will only get the published co-ords. If you press Find->Waypoints and note the respective co-ord details from the Finding Faversham cache you will see those too because they are waypoints. Not geocaches. But then you have to remember to upload them to your GPS! :)

Hello Team Skully,

Well I've just learnt something new.

I have a Garmin 60csx so that is the model I comment on. When you click on "Send to GPS" on the cache page for Finding Faversham all the way-points will be sent to the GPS. But only the main way-point, that for the cache at the top of the page will be marked on my GPS under "Geocache Way-points" , under "Way-points" all the way-points are listed including the main one. The main one is called the Way-point the others are called child way-points. You might want to look at a program called GSAK, in this the way-point and childway-points can be manipulated ready to send to a GPS.

Does that help? If not could you say what GPS you have so someone with that model can comment.

Regards

Bernard

That's a great help, thanks, they are all there in waypoints. I've got all the hints, notes and logs on my iphone along with access to google maps so I'm ready to go!

i don't think GSAK works on a Mac? I use Maccaching which is easy, just drag & drop from the downloaded files. It's sent everything to my Garmin, the main co-ords are in the Geocache listing and the rest in the waypoints listing, that will do me fine.

Edited by Team Skully