Track log starting point

NitroNorth

Hi

What do I need to do to get track logs to start where the GPS is turned on. I am mapping out snowmobile trails and sometimes travel along roads that I do not want to track. I turn the GPS off when arrive at a road and then turn it back on when I want to start tracking again. What happens is that the unit draws a straight line from the last point before shutting it off to the new starting point. I thought it would just start tracking fresh from the point it was turned on. I end up with a map cluttered with straight lines from various stop points. Editting in MapSource does not allow these lines to be removed, if I remove the end waypoint it simply moves the line to next one.

Any ideas?

you can easily break the track into muliple tracks in mapsource. and then del the endpoint.

instead of turning the unit off. just turn tracking off, and then back on. I'm pretty sure this will start a new track? but then again I thought turning the unit off did too.

if nothing above seems to work, you should be able to save the track at the end of the trail. then del the active track. turn the unit on when you get to the 2nd trail, and it'll start a new track for sure.

Edited by Smac999

Sorry about that. it is a GPS76CSx by Garmin. The MapSource software is 6.13.4.

I have tried the editting. If I edit the actual trail it is just great but if I edit these joiner lines they just move along to the next available point. It may have something to do with the auto wrap because I just turn the unit on and go until I cannot go any further due to a lake or something, then I turn it off and back track to my truck and maybe drive 20 or 30 miles to get back at the trail to get as close as I can to the point where I had to turn around. A line magically appears from that point to my new starting point and it does not edit like the others.

Is your tracklog memory full? If so try clearing it (after downloading) and start each day with an empty tracklog.

My tracks invariably always say 500 points and are set to Auto for the interval, distance and so on. It provides a complete track of all my trips of the day sometimes 100 km and sometimes less. But it always says 500 points. When I edit in mapsource I can see the point count reducing by the number of deletes I make but these mysterious lines cannot be removed they just jump from a previous starting point over to the next available waypoint. I will try to some settings other than Auto to see what happens. I will also try to save the individual track logs and then clear them out to start over. I can then stitch them together when I download to my PC. I was hoping to get the best resolution I could to draw maps for newcomers to our area. Up dating every KM or more would make the maps poorer than I had hoped as there are many bush roads that would take one off the intended path.

Sorry about that. it is a GPS76CSx by Garmin. The MapSource software is 6.13.4.

I have tried the editting. If I edit the actual trail it is just great but if I edit these joiner lines they just move along to the next available point. It may have something to do with the auto wrap because I just turn the unit on and go until I cannot go any further due to a lake or something, then I turn it off and back track to my truck and maybe drive 20 or 30 miles to get back at the trail to get as close as I can to the point where I had to turn around. A line magically appears from that point to my new starting point and it does not edit like the others.

Are you using the Track editing tools? Under View/Show Toolbars, do you have the Track Edit toolbar showing?

I have been able to clean up really messy tracks when my previous GPS unit would lose signal in poor reception areas. You can even create a track using those tools.

Nitro,

You've got to break the track into multiple tracks. Mapsource can do it; I have. I walked a number of roads like you did, but instead of turning the unit on and off, I just turned track logging on and off. And I got the same thing you did. So I saved one HUGE track and then broke it up into smaller tracks. Finally, I deleted those long straight lines.

You can even reverse the start/end points of a track. Just keep snooping around the track editing tools; you'll find it.

Belch out.

Edited by BelchFire

Hi

What do I need to do to get track logs to start where the GPS is turned on. I am mapping out snowmobile trails and sometimes travel along roads that I do not want to track. I turn the GPS off when arrive at a road and then turn it back on when I want to start tracking again. What happens is that the unit draws a straight line from the last point before shutting it off to the new starting point. I thought it would just start tracking fresh from the point it was turned on. I end up with a map cluttered with straight lines from various stop points. Editting in MapSource does not allow these lines to be removed, if I remove the end waypoint it simply moves the line to next one.

Any ideas?

Your track log doesn't know when you want to start and end. If you want to save off one part of the trail but not continue it, save it off and then delete current data.

You can save off the tracks and upload them to MapSource. Clicking the track tab or double clicking the track trail on the map screen should allow you to edit it. Just right click your mouse at some track point.

Hi

Any ideas?

In MapSource use the Track Divide Tool (the button looks like a red S with a scissors) to split the track into two parts. The track properties dialog should not be open. It’s easy once you figure it out.

Perry