is the nuvi 650 good to geocaching

jsticks

The nuvi is a fine in-car unit but isn't really suitable for Geocaching.

The unit is designed more for on road navigation and isn't up for the conditions many geocaches present. You will be quite sad if your unit gets wet or falls on a rock or in a mud puddle. They just are not very rugged.

You would be better off leaving it in the car to get you close and then using a cheap handheld like the Garmin Yellow eTrex "H" model. Goes for about $80 and is quite rugged and has all the basic features needed for geocaching.

Not saying you can't use the Nuvi - just that it isn't a good idea.

I agree the high end Nuvis are too costly to be taking in the field.

That said, I have used my Nuvi 660 when I have forgotten my handheld at home or at the office. Mine doesn't have a compass screen, and the map screen only zooms in to 120 feet. However, it does have a satellite page which displays current position coords - just walk about until the coords match the cache coords. #s go up for N and W. This means you have to know the coords of the cache. You can bring a copy of the webpage, or use GSAK to create customized POIs where you can attach the cache coords to each waypoint you download.

Good luck and welcome to geocaching.

The nuvi is a fine in-car unit but isn't really suitable for Geocaching.

The unit is designed more for on road navigation and isn't up for the conditions many geocaches present. You will be quite sad if your unit gets wet or falls on a rock or in a mud puddle. They just are not very rugged.

You would be better off leaving it in the car to get you close and then using a cheap handheld like the Garmin Yellow eTrex "H" model. Goes for about $80 and is quite rugged and has all the basic features needed for geocaching.

Not saying you can't use the Nuvi - just that it isn't a good idea.

Agreed. Nuvi is not a good choice. Get an inexpensive handheld and let your Nuvi get you to the parking.

My son gave me the nüvi 200 for Christmas. I haven't had the time to go on any trips where I can use it for traveling, so I've been using it for geocaching!

While I agree that it's not designed for trudging around looking for caches, it does a good job of hitting the target when locating coordinates. If I suspect that I might be off target I just walk away maybe 25 yards and reset the "Where to...". I haven't had to reset more than once to be convinced that I'm there.

Your nüvi 660 should have the ability to change modes like the 200 model. I suggest that you use the Settings to change Usage Mode to Pedestrian and the Route Preference to Off Road. While the latter is not really necessary, it will not attempt to guide you to the nearest road.

If you're out in damp or rainy weather, put your nüvi in a sandwich zip lock bag to keep it dry.

If you continue geocaching as I expect I will, you'll definitely want a hand held GPSr at some point. But until then you've got a very capable unit to get you started. :ph34r:

By the way... Garmin has software you can use to download waypoints directly into the Favorites Folder. You can even rename the cache to keep better track of each one you download.

Edited by hybird

thanks all i think i may try some of the cachs that dont look to hard at first with the nuvi then when i get hooked buy a hand held.

This is what I am doing as well. I have the nuvi 360 and works ok, but a co-worker of mine showed me the Explorist 210 and I can see why it is better suited for geocaching...

I got the nuvi 650 for Christmas for my car but also decided to try it for geocaching - I know I'll want a handheld in the future but so far it's been perfect.

I set the navigation to Off Road and the vehicle to Pedestrian and then I input the coordinates of the cache and save it with a name. Then instead of using the go! function I just view the map. As you get closer keep remembering to zoom in. It's put me right on top of each one so far!

I've got a nuvi 350, and I actually use it primarily for geocaching. (of course I used the "never getting lost again" argument to help justify the purchase to my wife!) ;) I've got over 250 finds - not exceptional, but certainly a significant number. I've cached with friends who have the handheld, non-touch-screen types, and while their GPSrs have some nice features that mine doesn't have, I've found that I seem to be able to access many of the most important features (accessing the list of POIs, entering coordinates, etc) much more easily and quicker than they can. There are some features that the nuvi doesn't have that many of the "hiking models" do, for instance the ability to record a track. However, I haven't found any of those missing features to be show-stopping while geocaching. I typically use the "Fastest Route" mode to drive to the parking area, then switch to the "Off Road" mode (which basically draws a straight line between my current location and the coordinates) to hike to the cache.