Orgnize Geocaches in GPS

froggybear

I believe (I could be wrong) that the Garmin etrex series does not allow for folders (or some sort of sorting). The Garmin etrex sorts either by location (automatically brings up the 50 closest caches) or by name (alphabetical).

Hope that helps,

Outspoken1

It helps answer the question, but isn't the answer I wanted. :laughing: Thanks anyway!

Edited by froggybear

If you use GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPS unit, you can use the "smart name" feature to get useful waypoint names that let you know what type of cache you are looking for, at a glance. You can get part of the cache Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

If you use Garmin's POI Loader, you can send those to the GPS by categories, if you really needed to have them divided by Type, Puzzles, Multis, Virtuals, Traditional, you could. I have sent some caches as POIs to my GPS based on location.

What sort of "folders" do you think you need?

If you use GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPS unit, you can use the "smart name" feature to get useful waypoint names that let you know what type of cache you are looking for, at a glance. You can get part of the cache Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

If you use Garmin's POI Loader, you can send those to the GPS by categories, if you really needed to have them divided by Type, Puzzles, Multis, Virtuals, Traditional, you could. I have sent some caches as POIs to my GPS based on location.

I am thinking of folders by Location. My sister has a Magellan Explorist 210, and she has a folder for our town (Lancaster, NY), for example. We also visit my daughter, who attends college in Ithaca, NY, where there are a ton of geocahces, so she has an "Ithaca" folder. We have another sister who lives about 30 miles away in Lockport, NY, and we occasionally go on geocaching expeditions with her, so she has a Lockport folder. It seems to work pretty nicely - she just scrolls to the Location, and they are all grouped together in one place. On mine, they'd be all mixed together. Or by distance, I guess... I'm still getting used to my gps, so maybe it isn't as cumbersome as it seems (without having folders). I would think other geocachers would like them grouped this way, though.

I am thinking of folders by Location. My sister has a Magellan Explorist 210, and she has a folder for our town (Lancaster, NY), for example. We also visit my daughter, who attends college in Ithaca, NY, where there are a ton of geocahces, so she has an "Ithaca" folder. We have another sister who lives about 30 miles away in Lockport, NY, and we occasionally go on geocaching expeditions with her, so she has a Lockport folder. It seems to work pretty nicely - she just scrolls to the Location, and they are all grouped together in one place. On mine, they'd be all mixed together. Or by distance, I guess... I'm still getting used to my gps, so maybe it isn't as cumbersome as it seems (without having folders). I would think other geocachers would like them grouped this way, though.

The etrex can show the caches that are closest to your current location as well as by name. Bring up the list and hit the menu button.

So long as you have got your Garmin GPS set to 'show nearest' (rather than 'alphabetical') for Waypoints, geocahes, POIs, etc it will - in effect - order them for you and you won't need folders to achieve what you are trying to do. When you get to you new town/area the caches that are at the top of the list WILL BE the ones in that town.

Try it the next time you are driving a few miles away. Check at home which ones are at the top ---- drive to next town/area -- check again ---voila! ---new set of geocaches at the top of the list! And actually as you are driving it will continually keep swapping so that where ever and whenever the urge to find a cache hits - you always know where the closest one is! Clever eh?

So long as you have got your Garmin GPS set to 'show nearest' (rather than 'alphabetical') for Waypoints, geocahes, POIs, etc it will - in effect - order them for you and you won't need folders to achieve what you are trying to do. When you get to you new town/area the caches that are at the top of the list WILL BE the ones in that town.

Try it the next time you are driving a few miles away. Check at home which ones are at the top ---- drive to next town/area -- check again ---voila! ---new set of geocaches at the top of the list! And actually as you are driving it will continually keep swapping so that where ever and whenever the urge to find a cache hits - you always know where the closest one is! Clever eh?

Sounds good. I was used to the other way, but this makes sense too. Actually, sometimes my sister can't remember which folder something is in, so maybe I'm better off this way. Thanks!