Changing ownership of a cache

Blackjack Bailey

I would like the opinion of this forum on a very bizarre situation in which I find myself!

Of the four caches that I have taken over, I have previously found only three while they were under previous ownership. Have I now lost the opportunity to find the fourth cache, as I now own it?! Obviously I need to find it, so that I can maintain it, but am I allowed to log it as a find?

Neville

I had a similar situation here in Qatar where a guy left the country and his 2 caches were in dire need of repair and adoption. He asked me to take the caches over officially [through GC]. As I had never been to the caches - due to remoteness - I logged them as finds the day I went there for maintenance, etc. Hope that helps you. I had no quarms about doing it as the effort involved getting there warranted it IMHO.

Happy caching

cincol

I would like the opinion of this forum on a very bizarre situation in which I find myself!

Of the four caches that I have taken over, I have previously found only three while they were under previous ownership. Have I now lost the opportunity to find the fourth cache, as I now own it?! Obviously I need to find it, so that I can maintain it, but am I allowed to log it as a find?

Find it and log it !!!!!!!!!!!!! There are no logging rules, just accepted practices. You can log whatever the owner allows. Logging a find on a cache you placed is usually frowned on because you know where it was hidden. Even if it got moved by muggles, I would not log a find after I relocated a cache I had hidden. But, in this case - go for it. Your finding experience will be identical to every other logged finder. How can anyone begrudge you that?

We have also adopted a cache which we haven't done yet. This one is along the 5 day Swellendam Hiking Trail.

We have spoken to several cachers for their opinion that if we should find it do we log it as a find or not.

General consensus is yes, as we did not place it and would have to search like anyone else.

Know how you feel. Itching to get this one as well.