Geo Cache Camera

Finkster5

I don't know if anyone has done this yet, but I'm thinking of placing a cache that has a digital camera inside and requesting that anyone visiting the cache take a picture of their group. Obviously the camera is to remain in the cache after each visit and would not be traded like other items that might be in the cache. I would expect people to post when they've visted the cache and I would ask this especially of the group that ends up filling the cameras memory so I could go retrieve it and post the pictures on my website.

I have seen a couple caches with a disposable camera in them. Owner just goes and replaces camera from time to time or when a note is left on the cache page stating that there is no more film in camera. Leaving a digital camera in a cache is like leaving a Jeep TB in a cache... probably be stolen within a few days! :anicute:

My advice: instead of leaving a camera in the cache, leave a Compact Flash and a Secure Digital card, and maybe a memory stick for those who still use Sony stuff. Have people put it in their camera and take a picture. Then you can collect them every so often and get the pics people have left. I would hope that the memory would be easier to protect from the elements and less attractive for theft than a camera.

I have seen a couple caches with a disposable camera in them. Owner just goes and replaces camera from time to time or when a note is left on the cache page stating that there is no more film in camera. Leaving a digital camera in a cache is like leaving a Jeep TB in a cache... probably be stolen within a few days! :anicute:

I would be using a disposable digital camera from rite aid which on sale run about ten bucks. And then download the pictures from it using software found on the internet. Check out www.camerahacking.com I already have 3 of these ccameras hacked and ready to use. If someone were to steal it well then they must need it more than I do. Its a shame we live in a society with dishonest people who will do anything for their own satisfaction regardless of how it affects others.

I would be using a disposable digital camera from rite aid which on sale run about ten bucks. And then download the pictures from it using software found on the internet. Check out www.camerahacking.com I already have 3 of these ccameras hacked and ready to use. If someone were to steal it well then they must need it more than I do. Its a shame we live in a society with dishonest people who will do anything for their own satisfaction regardless of how it affects others.

Had the same idea a while back. But their cameras use a proprietary connector, not a standard USB or mini USB connector. If you figure out a way to do it, please post it.

As far as the connector that is on these disposable digital cameras there are a few ways around it.

1. The easiest way is to buy an old palm pilot craddle off ebay and remove the connector from it. This connector fits the camera almost perfectly. Then you take a dollar store USB cable, cut off the end you don't need and solder it in the proper locations on the connector.

2. Buy two usb cables, one with both type A - Male ends and the other with type A - male and female ends. cut the femal end off the one and solder it to the camera. The other cable is use to connect the camera to your pc.

3. Since these cameras are cheap, you can take the dollar store USB cable, cut the female end off cable and solder what left directly to the proper pads on the camera. This is the cheapest way to do it but then your camera has a long leash attached to it.

It does take a little bit of skill and tinkering, but its well worth the effort. Plus being that its not a super special camera muggles might leave it alone.

If you're are interested check out www.camerahacking.com. The quality from these cameras is pretty good. All of the pictures on My Webpage are from these cams, caving, underwater, and even the aerial photography ones.