New caches

dpw133

Hi this may sound dumb, but im totally new to this and i cant figure out where to go on the website to find the newest caches, like within the month, or even week, because i keep finding them that say frist few people win a prize, but they were 5 years old, if anyone can help where i can find this that owuld be great!

cheers

dave

On your "My Account Details" page on the right hand side is a column of links. The first section is labeled "Search Options." One link is labled "List newest in <Your State>" Click on it. Caches listed are in your state, newest first.

If you become a premium member, you can sign up for automatic notification of caches that are published near you.

I would suggest finding some caches near you first, as in many areas, the FTF (First To Find) hounds will swoop in and nab new caches. It can be a little frustrating if you make this your sole goal as a new cacher.

Have Fun!

Edited by Too Tall John
... the FTF (First To Find) hounds will swoop in and nab new caches. It can be a little frustrating if you make this your sole goal as a new cacher.

One problem with primarily seeking FTFs is that they can legally be found before they are published. It may pay to know your local geocaching community to get the heads up on new caches. Otherwise, you could claim an FTFP (first to find published), but that may not win you a prize.

It may pay to know your local geocaching community to get the heads up on new caches. Otherwise, you could claim an FTFP (first to find published), but that may not win you a prize.

How much does this happen? :huh: As an admitted FTF hound, and one who enjoys the friendly FTF race in my area, I would be a little frustrated if I found out that the hider of a new cache had tipped off other cachers before the cache was published. My best friend is a fellow cacher in my area - we see each other several times a week, and we are careful not to give away the location of caches we are working on hiding. And if he did slip and let me know the cache's location, I would "exempt" myself from the FTF hunt, because it would hinder my sleep habits to accept the FTF with the early tip!

... the FTF (First To Find) hounds will swoop in and nab new caches. It can be a little frustrating if you make this your sole goal as a new cacher.

One problem with primarily seeking FTFs is that they can legally be found before they are published. It may pay to know your local geocaching community to get the heads up on new caches. Otherwise, you could claim an FTFP (first to find published), but that may not win you a prize.

An interesting story about FTF and caches.

I called on another caching couple to go out and try to find a newly published cache. We agreed to meet and try to find the cache and maybe a couple more in another area. As I was getting ready to head out the door, I noted another message from my local reviewer and made the assumption (poorly) that my new cache had been published. Since we were in the area anyways, I gave the coordinates to my friends and allowed them to find the cache. After I got home, I realized that the email from the local reviewer wasn't a publishing notice, but a 'fix-it before we can publish" notice. So the couple got a FTF and after the cache was actually published, our local FTF piggie claimed FTFAP (FTF after published).

I now actually READ the message before making assumptions.