Logging Etiquette

JABs

I log same day for FTFs (for sure) and same night or next morning for "regular" logs unless I'm not able to make it to a computer.

Should one write poor remarks re other finders?
Would you like poor remarks written about you as a finder? Edited by meralgia

What is a reasonable Time frame to log your cache finds?

What is a reasonable Time frame for FTF cache finds?

I try to log the same day, but often it is Monday before I can catch up for a weekend. Occasionally on a vacation it takes up to a week. More than a couple of weeks, and I would wonder.

I don't think that FTF should make a difference. It is First to Find afterall, not first to log.

Remarks about other finders do not belong in a cache log. Only finds, DNFs, notes about the cache, etc. belong in cache logs. The cache logs are not a forum....

Remember, this is supposed to be fun--don't sweat the small stuff!

Dave_W6DPS

As soon as you can sit down in front of an internet enabled computer and take the time to do it right.

That will of course vary widely.

No special consideration for a FTF log see above.

Comment on the experience of the cache including the hunt. If it is something about your experience - share it. Always be polite and keep a reign on negative comments.

Groundspeak will be providing us with a way of providing "Rewards" for excellent caches. I think instead of providing negative feedback to the poorly done caches, providing positive feedback, aka "Rewards" for the excellent caches will be an awesome tool which will provide motivation for the poorly done caches to perform to a higher standard.

Can't wait :anicute:

As far as logging, ASAP is a good rule of thumb

I don't think that FTF should make a difference. It is First to Find afterall, not first to log.

True, but if I am the STF, I will wait a reasonable amount of time (typically up to 24 hours) to allow the FTF to log the find first, just out of courtesy. When I'm the FTF, I like to be the FTLog as well, but that's just my anal-ness. I recognize that the true FTF gets the glory regardless of the (online) log order. The order of the physical log in the cache is what counts!

In an area where there is a big FTF race, it would be courteous to log your find as soon as possible, so others aren't rushing out there. Other than that it's really up to you. I log most of my finds as soon as I get home. I know others who don't log for days or weeks afterward.

As as far as poor remarks, honesty is usually a good thing, but some cache owners have very thin skin and a negative comment will sometimes draw a defensive and/or childish response. So try to be as diplomatic as possible with your criticism.

What is a reasonable Time frame to log your cache finds?

What is a reasonable Time frame for FTF cache finds?

To log your own finds. At your earliest convenience as time and life allow. Always sign the cache log though.

As for FTF, as above.

Poor remarks on other finders. Only if they are true. Then it's not the 'poor' so much as reality.

"Wow, looks like some finders before me tore this area up like a Grizzly looking for grubs" is a perfectly fair comment when that's what it looks like. The owner needs to know this so they can check on the cache or archive it to rethink their hide in light of dippy doodle finders.

How about a "Don't Hide More" option...

:anicute:

That's not positive though... I wonder if we could spin it to sound positive...

"You are such a good finder, perhaps you should focus your energy on finding caches from now on"

I failed my college PC class...