Explorist 500LE USB Cable ?

ace862

I know I've seen this mentioned by someone on here before but I can't find it right at the moment. Tonight I went to attach the USB cable to my Explorist 500LE to charge it but the cable would no longer connect. I believe the connector on the unit is stripped. It is almost like the screw on the cable is not long enough anymore. Has anyone encountered this before? Is there an easy fix to this problem? The unit is only 6 months old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I know I've seen this mentioned by someone on here before but I can't find it right at the moment. Tonight I went to attach the USB cable to my Explorist 500LE to charge it but the cable would no longer connect. I believe the connector on the unit is stripped. It is almost like the screw on the cable is not long enough anymore. Has anyone encountered this before? Is there an easy fix to this problem? The unit is only 6 months old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your First option would be to send the GPS to Magellan for repair.

Your second option would be to buy a charger that would allow you to charge the battery while it is not in the charger (that is what I use, mine is a Maha Power X)

Did you 500LE include the AAA battery holder, you could use reg. batteries or AAA rechargable batteries in there own charger.

Yeah, but he still won't be able to load GPX's... I've heard of that before, and heard something about eliminating a washer, but I don't see any such washer on my 400. I would say that you may be able to pull the original screw out, and find one at your local hardware store maybe 1/4" longer, and that ought to work.

Yeah, but he still won't be able to load GPX's... I've heard of that before, and heard something about eliminating a washer, but I don't see any such washer on my 400. I would say that you may be able to pull the original screw out, and find one at your local hardware store maybe 1/4" longer, and that ought to work.

You do not need a cable to load GPX files, I load my PQs onto my SD card with a card reader. I broke the cable for me 500 almost two years ago and I never replaced it.

The explorist 500 cable did have a washer, I had to remove the washer on mine after about a year. I forgot about the washer until you mentioned it, I do not know if the explorist cable still have washers.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Thanks guys for your responses. It gives me some ideas to think about. It was JohnnyVegas' mention of the washer that I remember reading about a while back. Unfortunately the cable doesn't seem to come with a washer anymore. The screw and what probably used to be the washer are now one solid piece.

Thanks again guys, I will get something worked out.

Cheers! ;)

Thanks guys for your responses. It gives me some ideas to think about. It was JohnnyVegas' mention of the washer that I remember reading about a while back. Unfortunately the cable doesn't seem to come with a washer anymore. The screw and what probably used to be the washer are now one solid piece.

Thanks again guys, I will get something worked out.

Cheers! ;)

Um, I have used the screw on mine, maybe twice....ever. I bought the swivel mount, the cable clips to it and the screw is obsolete. The cradle holds the Explorist against the contacts w/o the screw. When you want to use the unit, a half second to pop it out and you are caching. Far faster, more conveinient, holds the GPS in any position...

I bought the base for $8 at Academy sports and outdoors. There are tons of the different mounts available, Magellan and aftermarket. Bike mounts, swivel, suction cup.... Plus one better on JohnnyVegas, you don't ever have to open the battery door to remove the SD card, so that screw will not follow suit. (If you have a Li battery that is.)