Question about dropping coins, then later retrieving

Springfield Six

Hello! I am new to geocaching and geocoins, and I have a question. We picked up a geocoin in a cache near our house in GA, and its goal was to travel. We placed it in a cache in FL. It appears someone has picked it up, then "Placed it" in another cache only to retrieve it a few days later. Looking at his inventory of coins it appears he does this with all of them.

Is that what hes supposed to be doing? I thought he would release it and then someone else would retrieve it, and so on.

Doesnt it take forever to "drop" and "retrieve" your entire inventory of coins over and over? Is the point to gain mileage?

I guess there are collectors that essentially remove them from circulation by doing this?

Thanks,

Valerie

Could be for many reasons. Perhaps the cache couldn't hold the coin, or it was a bad place to leave it. Or they might have a special trip they are taking that follow the goal.

Perhaps they wanted to hold on to it and show others. Or wanted to just give it to one of their friends.

It's hard to know if the intent is good or bad. I'll tell you though, as an owner some movement is better than none.

They'll probably carry it through a few caches and then drop it off. That's okay.

Some people will use THEIR own coins to log mileage they travel while caching while others will dip OTHER people's coins to assist in the number of caches the coin/bug will visit. It can be better to have a traveller actually travel than languish in an ill conceived traveller stop where nobody goes.

As a coin owner I don't mind that my coins get dipped so long as the cacher doesn't keep them too long and is logging them frequently.