garmin etrex legend help

reload556

ok so i got a new to me etrex legend :D ( was my father in laws it didn't do what he wanted it to do so he got a new one ) well when i turn on the unit a screen comes up with his name and address so now to my question is there any way to get my name and addy on there :) ? i've looked in the owners manual and i don't seee any mention of it :) i'm hoping someone on here knows how to change it cause it irks me thanks

Bill

Let me clarify first: you have the Legend HCx? That's what I have and I've only had it since Christmas. I did find how to put my name on the welcome screen though.

I pressed the menu button twice to get to the Main Menu.

Toggle down to Setup and press Enter (the little toggle button)

Then you're on the Setup Menu. Toggle to Headings, then toggle down once more to Welcome Message.

THEN press Enter on Welcome Message. The icon doesn't show up on the first screen with all the other icons.

Let me clarify first: you have the Legend HCx? That's what I have and I've only had it since Christmas. I did find how to put my name on the welcome screen though.

I pressed the menu button twice to get to the Main Menu.

Toggle down to Setup and press Enter (the little toggle button)

Then you're on the Setup Menu. Toggle to Headings, then toggle down once more to Welcome Message.

THEN press Enter on Welcome Message. The icon doesn't show up on the first screen with all the other icons.

i don't belive this is the hcx i belive it is one of the origanal etrex's

ok so i got a new to me etrex legend :D ( was my father in laws it didn't do what he wanted it to do so he got a new one ) well when i turn on the unit a screen comes up with his name and address so now to my question is there any way to get my name and addy on there :) ? i've looked in the owners manual and i don't seee any mention of it :) i'm hoping someone on here knows how to change it cause it irks me thanks

Bill

If it's the old Legend (the blue one) then see this post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3205131

ok so i got a new to me etrex legend :mad: ( was my father in laws it didn't do what he wanted it to do so he got a new one ) well when i turn on the unit a screen comes up with his name and address so now to my question is there any way to get my name and addy on there :D ? i've looked in the owners manual and i don't seee any mention of it :) i'm hoping someone on here knows how to change it cause it irks me thanks

Bill

If it's the old Legend (the blue one) then see this post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3205131

thats it thanks ya'll now i feel better :)

That's neat. I don't think the new one has a screen with all that information; at least I haven't found it. Thanks for the opportunity to input--usually I lurk or ask for help, it was nice to "think" I knew what I was talking about, for a little while. :)

i'm more of a lurker myself i've been a member for a while now and these are my first posts but thanks for the help and good luck

I have a question about the blue legend and maps. I got one of these for Christmas. It has 8MB of memory. How many maps can I really put on it? I saw a friends map source and for one little part of Ohio it was like 16MB. Also, can the basemaps be updated on these?

The basemaps cannot be updated, but you can add any number of maps that can be updated. The basemap is pretty good, as I've used it since 2001 for rudimentary auto navigation on many cross-country trips. And of course, you really don't need it for geocaching. All the major Interstates and US highways are on it along with select state highways. The POIs are not too bad too, for instance giving rest stops along the Interstates.

I don't know where you live, but using Ohio as an example centered on Dayton, you can fit 26 Topo 2008 map segments before hitting the 8 MB limit. Here is a screen shot from Mapsource.

Mapsource Screen Capture

actually I do live in Ohio...good guess :blink:

Anyways, thanks for the info. I mainly use the legend for geocaching but with maps loaded can I navigate with it? Will it give me all street names in certain cities? I'm thinking about keeping the legend for a backup and either getting a 60CSX or Vista HCX.