Geo Coin Question

Rock-it Radio

Hello,

We are really new to Geo Caching ... and on our first hunt yesterday we found a Geo Coin and Geo Bug. We snagged and entered it and plan on passing them on, however, we are also planning on making our own first Geo Cache Hide.

My wife is a potter and we want to make our own 'Clay' Geo Coins. They would be high fired so fairly sturdy ... not as sturdy as metal of course but strong enough we think. What we are wondering about though is ... Is it possible to put our own tracker numbers on it? And would it be trackable through Groundspeak?

Thanks for your help in advance!

All the best,

Bennie & Jan

Rock-it Radio

http://www.rockitradio.net

Hello,

We are really new to Geo Caching ... and on our first hunt yesterday we found a Geo Coin and Geo Bug. We snagged and entered it and plan on passing them on, however, we are also planning on making our own first Geo Cache Hide.

My wife is a potter and we want to make our own 'Clay' Geo Coins. They would be high fired so fairly sturdy ... not as sturdy as metal of course but strong enough we think. What we are wondering about though is ... Is it possible to put our own tracker numbers on it? And would it be trackable through Groundspeak?

Thanks for your help in advance!

All the best,

Bennie & Jan

Rock-it Radio

http://www.rockitradio.net

I have found a couple items like those, and they do hold up fine, you may want to put them inside of a sleve/envelope/bag/box for added protection. You would have to contact Groundspeak directly about the "official" tracking of those. I imagine that you would have to pay a fee for each that was listed, and they would give you the numbers to use (if it's even allowed)

What you can do is buy a travel bug dog tag and either attatch it to your clay "coin" or have the tracking number moulded into the coin. Technically it will be a "Travel Bug" rather than a "Geocoin" but it will be alot easier than trying to get a set of coin tracking numbers, as I believe you have to buy them in multiples of 100 for geocoins.

I heard of a guy somewhere in the US (possibly Hawaii) who makes clay tiles and numbers them that way.

I know someone made some beautiful pottery geocoins earlier this year. From all reports, they were amazing to see in person and very sturdy. If your wife has the ability to make some, that would be fantastic. In order to get them to be trackable on geocaching, you would have to purchase a block of tracking numbers from geocaching. I don't know the details on minimum number of tracking numbers you must buy or how much-- I'm thinking it's something like 200 and $1.50 each, but those are probably misremembered figures. You could always make your items non-trackable signature items if you don't want to purchase tracking numbers for them.

Here's a thread in the geocoins forum about some pottery geocoins. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=163512

Like others have said, you have to buy a block of tracking numbers ( I want to say 250, but that's probably not accurate) at 1.50 each. It can get pricey. Also, Groundspeak has to approve the design first.

Edited to add this post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641 which states their tracking policy. It looks like 100 codes is the minimum.

Edited by coreynjoey