Mio DigiWalker

bmhgigo

Well I got a Mio Digi Walker C230 as a gift and I'm taking it back tomorrow it works ok in the car it doesn't really take the fastest route to where i want to go but i might have needed to play with the settings some more to fix that. as far a geocaching with it well it just won't work even with the walking setting on and the snap to road off you won't find what you are looking for. I thought it would be good for the price but it's just not unless you are only going to use it in the car and you need it be easy to use, kinda....

Software compat on the Mio products is a problem. They have a small market share and no documented way to send waypoint to them programmatically. The way it's done is for software to pull the POI database in, edit it, then send it back. It's a process prone enough to errors that I decided to not support them in my own software.

They're really not outdoors products. If you just want a car unit, it's OK.

I bought 2 (C320's) the day after Thanksgiving, and returned one.

I might sell the other as well. The POI's were terrible, and customer support was even worse. I looked up Home Depot, and it wanted me to go 165 miles to South Carolina. Been one for ten years about 3 miles away. I waliked into Radio Shack and told the guy to look up the nearest R/S. Same result, he got my point. Actually exchanged it for a Garmin 200W. Much Better.

PP

I got a Black Friday Mio last year for use in my car. It's okay for auto navigation, but I have to echo the comments about awful POI's. Actually, my model had a decent set of POI's until I installed a Mio map update. Suddenly, the six million POI's the unit had prior to the update dropped to just over a million. I have to believe this was an intentional move on Mio's part to downgrade the unit to encourage sales of its higher priced units. Even without this intentional crippling, Mio units are not waterproof nor designed for viewing in direct daylight--they're designed for use inside a car.

I have a Mio c310x.

With a few "tweaks" this makes a good dual use ( cache/driving ) unit.

For the technically inclined, this may work on other Mio units.

I edited a skin to show a dot in pedestrian mode instead of the triangle.

Found a way to get to the Win CE shell, and loaded up SirfTech, and turned static navigation off, so the dot will move with me when I walk, instead of jumping every 50 feet. ( also turns off snap to road when in pedestrian mode )

Use POI explorer, can import POIs from pocket queries using active sync. I seperate them by Micro and Regular, picked a different icon for each. The POIs show the waypoint name, but you can click it, and see the real name, terrain and diffuculty. ( Still figuring how to get the hint to show up, if possible )

Stores alot of waypoints, so far I have over 2700 loaded, and seems to handle the large number nicely. ( Yes, I have alot of pocket queuries to cover anywhere I may spontaniously travel )

Everything I used is freely available, and can point someone in the right direction if they want to try...

Let me know. ( I'm leaving town for the weekend, so may take me a couple days )

Downside to the unit: A little big to carry, and not water resistant.

Built in POIs kind of stink, but I never use them.

I would like to take you up on your offer for advise on how to download pocket queries to to the Mio C310x. I the Mio and my Garmin 60 CSx for geocaching. The Mio screen and the maps allow me to navigate to the vicinity of the waypoint, then I use the Garmin to pinpoint where it is. I haven't had the Garmin long enough to give it the praise that inspired me to purchase it. I've had the Mio over a year and I like it, but I don't like entering the coordinates by hand.

I'm not one to pretend that I know more than I do so right off hand let me tell you I don't even know what active sync is. Help.

Dennis

I have a Mio c310x.

Found a way to get to the Win CE shell, and loaded up SirfTech, and turned static navigation off, so the dot will move with me when I walk, instead of jumping every 50 feet. ( also turns off snap to road when in pedestrian mode )

Use POI explorer, can import POIs from pocket queries using active sync. I seperate them by Micro and Regular, picked a different icon for each. The POIs show the waypoint name, but you can click it, and see the real name, terrain and diffuculty. ( Still figuring how to get the hint to show up, if possible )

Stores alot of waypoints, so far I have over 2700 loaded, and seems to handle the large number nicely. ( Yes, I have alot of pocket queuries to cover anywhere I may spontaniously travel )

Everything I used is freely available, and can point someone in the right direction if they want to try...

I have a Mio c310x.

I also have a Mio C310X. How did you turn off static navigation? the only thing I can find is routing options to route using cars, bike or pedestrian. Is that it?

I have been able top backup the poi fuile but cannot find the proper program to edit it. POI explorer from MIO seems to be geared toward a different unit that can read multiple CSV files directly from the SD card.

Edited by ras_oscar

I have a Mio c310x.