just got a garmin eTrex for Christmas

Sabre-Night

any tips or anything i should know about when using a GPS like this? i have figured out a good bit allready and tested it's abilities and sensitivity earlier so i know its 100% functional (took it with me when we went to see National Treasure Book of Secrets. (heh, yeah XD)

i would like to place a cache in town aswell pretty soon, but i don't have the cash for a cache box, so what would make a good makeshift cache box? i've hears tupperware and ammo cans are possibly the best, but i don't think i can spare any of my own. any suggestions of anything else? and besides a log and a pencil, what else should i load in my cache?

... i bet most of my questions can be awnsered in the FAQs, but i would like anyone else's opinion if they'd be so kind ^ ^.

any tips or anything i should know about when using a GPS like this? i have figured out a good bit allready and tested it's abilities and sensitivity earlier so i know its 100% functional (took it with me when we went to see National Treasure Book of Secrets. (heh, yeah XD)

i would like to place a cache in town aswell pretty soon, but i don't have the cash for a cache box, so what would make a good makeshift cache box? i've hears tupperware and ammo cans are possibly the best, but i don't think i can spare any of my own. any suggestions of anything else? and besides a log and a pencil, what else should i load in my cache?

... i bet most of my questions can be awnsered in the FAQs, but i would like anyone else's opinion if they'd be so kind ^ ^.

I started out easy with a bunch of Micro Film Canisters. If you don't have any, go to your local Shutterbug or photo store, and ask if they can hold on to some for you.

Peanut butter jars also work well, and they are usually a common household item :D

Just got my etrex GPS a week ago for my 40th Birthday. I have yet to place, but have 17 finds in 2 days of caching. Seen several nice ideas. wide mouth peanut butter jars, the plastic ones. Coffee creamer jugs with camo tape, pvc with a screw on lid and spring clamp to put it in a tree. almost anythig will work. You can paint it up, or put tape on. Make sure you follow the instructions at geocaching,com . They explain what you need. We have traded playing cards, matchbox cars. different medallions that we have had. Al sorts of stuff will work. Take the kids along if you have any. They will have a blast. :D

i don't wanna do a micro, but the peaer jar idea is good the area i wanna have it though i may need to find something water tight. (paybe a pickle jar?)

I would say no on the pickle jar. You really don't want to hide glass... When picking a cache container, think plastic/metal, waterproof, animal-proof (to a degree). Ammo cans and peanut butter jars are pretty much your best friend.

I would also shop around if I were you, for I have bought an ammo can for $3.50 a piece. Check for local surplus stores.

Just looking at your profile I see that you have only found 3 caches so far. Why don't you take your time and get to know your new GPS first. There is no need to hurry to place your caches. Go out and get used to your new GPS first and find out the types of cache containers that others are using and how they are hidden. I think I found almost 100 caches before I went ahead and placed my first cache. Just my thoughts. Happy Caching

We try to stick with cache containers that will last out in the elements. We use ammo cans, lock and lock containers, and swim tubes that we got from a friend. Try using things that are truely weather proof. We stuff the containers with kids toys and a few things for adults also. Ponchos, ect.

Just looking at your profile I see that you have only found 3 caches so far. Why don't you take your time and get to know your new GPS first. There is no need to hurry to place your caches. Go out and get used to your new GPS first and find out the types of cache containers that others are using and how they are hidden. I think I found almost 100 caches before I went ahead and placed my first cache. Just my thoughts. Happy Caching

yeah tomorrow i'll be trying to find 3 caches i wasn't able to find before i've used my GPS quite a bit, not yet on an actual cache find though.

We try to stick with cache containers that will last out in the elements. We use ammo cans, lock and lock containers, and swim tubes that we got from a friend. Try using things that are truely weather proof. We stuff the containers with kids toys and a few things for adults also. Ponchos, ect.

yeah i got to talking with my dad, and he says he has an old ammo box he'd be willing to give me for it

I have to agree with this one. Usually, it is best to get a dozen or more finds (at least!) under your belt before you attempt to hide a cache.

It usually give you a better understanding of what is allowed and not allowed and it may even give you some good ideas.

Concerning containers, I would just use any of the various "lock and lock" brand containers you can find at Walmart or Target and cover them with some camo duct tape from the sporting good section.

Lock and lock containers are awesome and cheap!