garmin etex legend hcx compass help

nubb1337

So for X-mas I got a garmin etrex legend hcx gps unit......And I cant figure out how to use the electronic compass. I turn on the gps wait for it to connect to satellites and I go to the electronic compass and the compass wont move when I turn. I.E when I'm facing north it says I'm facing west (I.E it's acting like it's frozen). And when I turn the compass stays still and doesn't move at all. And the same thing happens when I'm in the map. It's acting like it's frozen.

Edited by nubb1337

So for X-mas I got a garmin etrex legend hcx gps unit......And I cant figure out how to use the electronic compass. I turn on the gps wait for it to connect to satellites and I go to the electronic compass and the compass wont move when I turn. I.E when I'm facing north it says I'm facing west. And when I turn the compass stays still and doesn't move at all. And the same thing happens when I'm in the map.

Merry Christmas and Welcome,

The Vista's have the electronic compass.

If you have the Legend HCx, you don't have a compass per se. It is only a direction/bearing indicator. AND you have to be MOVING, (at least a little) other wise it'll wander around aimlessly.

Walk north 20 to 30 ft and it should point that direction, turn right 90 degrees and within 5 or so ft. it should show you headed east.

If you do the 'bee dance' don't try to keep up the spinning arrow - you'll get seriously dizzy!!!

So for X-mas I got a garmin etrex legend hcx gps unit......And I cant figure out how to use the electronic compass. I turn on the gps wait for it to connect to satellites and I go to the electronic compass and the compass wont move when I turn. I.E when I'm facing north it says I'm facing west. And when I turn the compass stays still and doesn't move at all. And the same thing happens when I'm in the map.

If you have the Legend HCx, you don't have a compass per se. It is only a direction/bearing indicator. AND you have to be MOVING, (at least a little) other wise it'll wander around aimlessly.

Walk north 20 to 30 ft and it should point that direction, turn right 90 degrees and within 5 or so ft. it should show you headed east.

If you do the 'bee dance' don't try to keep up the spinning arrow - you'll get seriously dizzy!!!

The "direction/bearing indicator" is acting like it's frozen. And so is the map. And when I walk 40+ feet it still doesn't work. With a very good satellite connection.

Edited by nubb1337

I have a 60csx but leave the electronic compass off for 2 reasons:

1) I started with a legend and learned to use it without the compass. If it says that the cache is 20 feet away NW -- then it is 20' away NW, whether you have an electronic compass or not. If you take note of the cardinal directions as you are walking to the cache, just walk 20' NW no matter where the arrow is pointing.

2) The electronic compass never seems to stay calibrated. If I remembered to calibrate it every day then it might be better, but once I know which direction is North (while I am walking) then it does not matter if the gps is pointing me the right direction or not -- as long as it tells me which direction to go (kinda like analog and digital clocks)

I have my GPS set up so that N is always at the top of the map screen. With the compass *off* the map screen pointer should respond to the direction you are walking. (The compass should be off if you want the map arrow to *respond* to your direction of travel) If you are not walking and want to take a compass bearing turn the GPS compass on and use your compass screen. The arrow will point to magnetic North just like a magnetic compass does. This compass function should be turned off when you are walking so the map pointer will respond to the direction you are traveling instead of being "stuck on magnetic North".

The "direction/bearing indicator" is acting like it's frozen. And so is the map. And when I walk 40+ feet it still doesn't work. With a very good satellite connection.

You may have to walk more than 40 feet to see anything. Sounds like you are playing around with the unit in your backyard. Take it out in the real world and try to find a cache. Or mark a waypoint, walk a few hundred yards away and try to navigate back. See what happens then. I bet you will get better results.