marking caches as found

I've been geocaching for a while now and in the beginning it was all about the hunt and the adventure. I never really cared about the numbers, I just wanted to make finds. Now, because I never cared about numbers, I have a problem. I never really logged the caches I found as "found" on the website, but I recently have a had an interest in numbers. I really would like to log them as found so I can see how many I have found and start keeping track of them...is it wrong to just mark them as found even if it was like 4 months ago? Do I have to go out and find them all again?! THANKS!

It's perfectly find to back log. Just try to make sure you use the correct date, or as close as possible.

As an aside, to me (and many geocachers) logging has nothing to do with numbers. It's just a way to keep track of what you've done and to let the owners know that you found their caches and enjoyed yourself.

If you have signed the logbook at the caches, then no problem at all. Just remember to log the find on the date you found the cache.

Most cache owners will not have a problem with that - since when they go to their caches for maintenance and review the log ;) and see that you have visited the cache.

I've been geocaching for a while now and in the beginning it was all about the hunt and the adventure. I never really cared about the numbers, I just wanted to make finds. Now, because I never cared about numbers, I have a problem. I never really logged the caches I found as "found" on the website, but I recently have a had an interest in numbers. I really would like to log them as found so I can see how many I have found and start keeping track of them...is it wrong to just mark them as found even if it was like 4 months ago? Do I have to go out and find them all again?! THANKS!
If I were in your shoes, I'd log them (there is a link on each cache page), take my best guess when I found the cache, and in your logs explain your situation.

Make sure you don't log any "extra" caches, as that will be seen as bad form.

c70rf;

i'm pretty green at this game and kinda old school i guess, but my trusty paper 'n' pencil log is fun ta read plus it's added a cache or two (the ones i didn't up load as found from my gpsr) to the found list.

but i find myself not loggin' the dnfs in either the paper or digital logs

go figure! guess it bolsters my ego to not have any black marks against me.

c70rf;

i'm pretty green at this game and kinda old school i guess, but my trusty paper 'n' pencil log is fun ta read plus it's added a cache or two (the ones i didn't up load as found from my gpsr) to the found list.

but i find myself not loggin' the dnfs in either the paper or digital logs

go figure! guess it bolsters my ego to not have any black marks against me.

A DNF is not a "black mark" against you. ;) As a cache owner, I want people to log their finds . . . and their DNFs. Some of my caches don't get visited very often. In the months between visits, something could have happened to the container. I want the next person to get to GZ to let me know if my cache is is there, or possibly not there, so I can get out and fix it for the next finder.

People . . . Please log your DNFs. :D