GPS on Your Boat

I was curious how many of you use your GPSr on your boat too. I bought my first unit for use on my boat. When I went to look at new units to replace my Magellan 310 that was doing strange things is how I learned about Geocaching.

I gotta say one of the most spectacular demonstrations of a GPS's value was on a boat. We were salmon fishing in British Columbia. If you've never been there, it's LOADED with islands, reefs & other nav obstacles.

One morning we were going out right at dawn, with a group of 5 other boats in fog you couldn't see 50 feet in. We took off and followed the evening before's tracks through the islands, reefs, etc, some channels only 30 ft wide, to our ocean fishing spot...at full speed of about 25 MPH. Nav. was perfect to our fishing spot.

The other 5 boats, all w/o GPS...well 3 of them turned around and didn't fish that day, and the other two showed up to fish about 2 hours later, just as we were landing the fish that put us at the limit!

This was all with an antique GPS45 no less. :ph34r:

My first GPS was for my boat. Non-portable by ...uhhh... Trimble? Furuno? Not sure. About 1992 or so. No WAAS. No USGC DGPS. Worked great. No mapping. Big unit, big numbers. 20 waypoints if I remember right. Sure better than the Loran it replaced (10 waypoints). Boat long gone, Geocaching & benchmark hunting & hiking & mountain biking here to stay. I hope.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

I also use a handheld GPSr for sailing. It's a great way to keep track of... well tracks. Seriously, I use it for the trip computer and map while on the water as much as I use it for geocaching on land.

I don't rely on the GPSr (no self respecting outdoors-person should), but do appreciate the added safety and security margins. This was last demonstrated to me when the fog rolled in just before sunset while sailing into an unfamiliar harbor. To be specific, it was San Diego Bay, a very busy naval port. So it was nice to know right where I was and have confirmation for my reading of the buoys and markers.

Until recently, I had an old Garmin eTrex Legend. That thing was a trooper! I just upped to the Garmin 60csx. I like both units a lot for both sports. Also, a friend just got the eTrex Vista hcx. That's a very nice, affordable choice, too.

That's my $ 0.02

:(

I used a Garmin 45 and then a Lowrance GlobalNav 200 everytime I went fishing or portaging or hunting. No maps but at least I could retrace my footsteps when going back to the car at night whether on foot or in my boat or canoe. On moonless nights, it can be very dark. On some of the lakes I fish, people get lost during the day. Now, I can fish for walleye at nightfall and not worry about finding my way back to my vehicle without running aground or losing my way. Yes, I carry a 1 million candle spotlight and a couple of other flashlights but they only warn me of the immediate danger in front of me. From far away, an uninhabited Northern Quebec shoreline looks the same anywhere you point the light. The GPS keeps me on track.

I have just upgraded to a used Lowrance IFinder Pro with a detailed Freedom Map of Quebec on an SD card. I will now be able to go to some fishing spots very early in the morning before the sun comes up.

I used to do a LOT of bowfishing tournaments, they are all at night , from 7pm to 7am.

The only way to be competitive and safe ( I use that term loosely ! ) was to have a GPS. Most everyone had a hand held unit, as for myself I used a hand held Magellan sportrak pro marine, and a Lowrance Fish finder with GPS, something 320, loved it for the big screen and great maps.

A lot of the areas in south Louisiana , the marshes , are one way in and one way out.

If I didn’t have a “ Trail “ to follow out ,, id still be their!

Going 40mph on the water at night and not knowing where the buoys , shore line and other structure is , ,, well I just cant imagine doing that, scary enough with them!

Also having up to date maps, are a must, finding marinas , gas, and help if anything goes

Wrong.

Best advice id have would be get a good unit, newest maps and software, start using it

And make sure you trust it, and its marking trails accurately, if the unit is off and not showing you exactly where you are or have been, could lead to trouble later on .

Also some units like the lowrance that I had, you need to tell the unit how much memory

To set aside for trails, if not set high enough , it will start removing “ trail dots” from your starting point, and could leave you short on getting all the way home!.

Good luck and good fishing!

I like other started with a GPS45, but not for fishing. I was selected to work the '96 Olympics in Savannah, Ga on a mark boat. We were responsible for setting the course for the races. We had to learn to use the GPS to set the courses for distance and time.

Each race was to be as close to 45 minutes as possible. Wind speed, direction, and current had to be figured out before setting the course each day. Then during the race if the wind picked up or lessened, or changed direction we had to change the course, and fast.

Our team had the highest percentage of races closest to the 45 minutes. We each had our own GPS on each boat and learned to use the calculation functions to determine where to set each mark.

It is amazing what those old GPS's could do!! Fun Times