How do YOU attach underwater caches?

elmuyloco5

I have a waterproof container that I would like to make an underwater cache with. It has a short strap attached to the box, but I will need something longer. Most of the water areas around us are quick moving small rivers. I was thinking of using fishing line as it's clear, but wondered if it would hold up over time in the given conditions. What do some you use?

I have a waterproof container that I would like to make an underwater cache with. It has a short strap attached to the box, but I will need something longer. Most of the water areas around us are quick moving small rivers. I was thinking of using fishing line as it's clear, but wondered if it would hold up over time in the given conditions. What do some you use?

Depending on the physical size of your container you may consider using something much stronger. Mine is held in place with the type of chain used for dog tethers. I trust it much more than a single piece of monofilament.

My container would be a no-name brand box similar to an otterbox and is about 5x4x3inches. I have some stainless steel chain, but I was thinking it would make the hide too obvious. Is there a better way to make it "hidden"?

Stainless steel chain will turn blue when enough heat is applied. Find a friend or shop that will "burn" the chain with a torch (over 650 degrees F) and it will change from the shiny chrome colour to a nicely camoed blue.

Edited by Team Magic