Entering coordinates on EtrexH (also maps)

HHinNC

I'm looking at the Etrex H as a low cost gift for geocaching. The instruction manual for the Etrex H did not specifically say that coordinates for a cache can be manually entered. Does anyone have this unit who could give me some clarification on this feature? Also, is there any kind of base map on the Etrex H or is it just a blank screen? (I reallize that any map would not be detailed on a low cost unit). By comparison, I have an older Garmin GPS III that does have a basemap, that does show some main roads and geographic features, but not much detail. I was wondering if the EtrexH has a similar basemap? Thanks for any help i might receive.

I just checked on the Etrex H, and would guess that coordinates can be entered manually just like most Garmin models by Marking your position and the editing it. Also found out it does not have a base map. However, it will find caches as well as most GPSs. The price is right. I think it would make someone very happy.

Edited by W7WT

Thanks for the quick response. Garmin makes this lower cost model- Etrex H for about $90 . I am making those assumptions also, but before I purchase it, I would really like to get a confirmation on the coordinate question.

Edited by HHinNC

Just bought an Etrex H this weekend and went geocaching with it today. The reception between that unit and the Legend-Cx is like day and night. The H can easily track satellites while in my house but the Legend Cx simply not. The reception on the Etrex H is outstanding.

I've already got the cable from the old old B&W Legend and updated the firmware to 2.5

I've now dedicated my Legend-C to the car and bicycle only.... I'll use the Etrex H for geocaching and benchmark hunting.

The one big, big, big negative about the Etrex H is if you don't have the cable, entering waypoints and names is much harder than even the Explorist 100/200/300 series because you've got to scroll through half the alphabet or the entire system of numbers... like enter 191919 will take about 50 button presses.

I also did not have the odometer problems with the H chip on the Yellow that others are reporting.

Edited by gpsblake

The one big, big, big negative about the Etrex H is if you don't have the cable, entering waypoints and names is much harder than even the Explorist 100/200/300 series because you've got to scroll through half the alphabet or the entire system of numbers... like enter 191919 will take about 50 button presses.

So how do you enter coordinates w/o a cable?

So how do you enter coordinates w/o a cable?

well, there is only up/down bottons, so if you want to move from 1 to 4, you have to press 3 times.

I personally don't think this will be too hard, if you only need 1 or 2 waypoints each time.

I'd like instructions for this...I know how to press the buttons just cant find a menu that allows me to enter them manually

I am new to GEOCaching and have just bought the Garmin eTrex H and also would like instructions for this. Hope someone can help.

AKADAWN

I'd like instructions for this...I know how to press the buttons just cant find a menu that allows me to enter them manually

I am new to GEOCaching and have just bought the Garmin eTrex H and also would like instructions for this. Hope someone can help.

AKADAWN

First of all - "READ THE MANUAL"

otherwise

1. Turn on the Etrex H

2. press the page button till you come to menu

3. press enter button to select mark

4 use the up & down buttons till you hit the flag

5 press enter and choose the icon you want to use, using the up & Down buttons (U&D) buttons / press enter

6 press D button to select the name / enter /

7 enter again / U&D / enter /

8 enter again / U&D / enter / repeat till you have your name for the way-point (max 6 characters

9 when finished scroll down to ok / enter

10 U&D to down to bottom of screen where the co-ordinate are ( example N 53° 41.801 W 001° 49.521 ) and enter them in the same way you have entered name

ie-enter / U&D / enter / U&D / enter etc till you have entered all the the co-ordinates of the Geocache you are inputting. Double check they are all correct

11 U&D to OK /enter.

12Now select Waypoints U&D to whatever name you chose

ie 0 - 9 or A - D etc and there should be your geocache

13 select the one you want and away you go.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

If not you can find a You Tube video here which may help you]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...54118611899161#