6 or 7 digit gc coordinates

Hi Recently we bought a Garmin Etrex, it's basic but suits us OK except when you download from the computer ,if 2 waypoints have ony one different letter at the end, one will overwrite another because the Etrex only recognises the first 6. So now we want to but another GPS unit, preferably another Garmin, how can we tell how many digits it stores? What are we looking for in the specification?

Thanks

I see you are a premium member. If you use GSAK, resetting the field format to six digits will solve this by rewriting the short codes assigned to each cache.

Thanks Trucker Lee, we know we can do that but it's a pain. We just need to know what we're looking for in the specs really. We don't know which Garmins are 6 digits and which are 7 .

How easy is GSAK to use? I often look at the screen examples but it looks quite complicated.

I see you are a premium member. If you use GSAK, resetting the field format to six digits will solve this by rewriting the short codes assigned to each cache.

Thanks Trucker Lee, we know we can do that but it's a pain. We just need to know what we're looking for in the specs really. We don't know which Garmins are 6 digits and which are 7 .

There is a way to send waypoints from GSAK and "preserve" the original waypoint name is to use the "%drop2" feature in the send waypoints setup. Simply put this command strips the GC from the beginning of the waypiont name ---- GCAB123 becomes AB123 easily fitting in the 6 character limit. But the specs listed on Garmin's website include the wapoint name length, so you can find the info there.

Good Luck

How easy is GSAK to use? I often look at the screen examples but it looks quite complicated.

It can look that way . . . it did to me because I wasn't familiar with database programs at all. However, it is a lifesaver, especially if you live in a "cache-rich" area and your GPSr has a limited number of waypoints it will hold.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful as you start out. The people over in the 'GSAK Support Forums are very knowledgeable. Reading those questions and answers can also help you get started.