Missing in action TB's

archuka

<_< So what do you do with a TB that has been logged into a cache, but now has been missing from the cache for over 3 months now, with no log of a cacher takeing the TB, nor did the owner of the TB or the cache do a follow up on the TB to maybe contact some of the recent loggers as to the where about's of the TB.

I knew of a cache that you could drop the TB into which is a graveyard type to send it into limbo until

it was caught up to and then could be retrieved to get it back into the system.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...rypt=y&log=

So now what do we do with the preverbial lost in space TB ???

just wondering

archuka

email: archuka@yahoo.com

If the owner of the cache, and the owner of the TB won't mark it missing, (ask them first) then I can do it. Send me a PM with a link to the TB and I can mark it missing. TB owners, who are still active, might not appreciate me doing it for them, so it's always best to ask them first.

Your friendly volunteer cache reviewer can also assist by moving a trackable off the cache page and into an "unknown location." This makes cachers in my area happier, as they can cache with greater confidence that the "Yes, there's a trackable" icon on their GPS or PDA or computer is accurate. I've moved well over 500 trackables into limbo this year, not counting Jeeps and UN Diabetes bugs.

As Eartha said, contacting someone with admin rights should be a last resort if the owner of the cache and the owner of the trackable aren't taking action. Also, I don't move a trackable without clear evidence that it's gone -- either the cache is archived, went missing with the trackable in it, or the trackable was dropped many months ago and there are multiple logs on the cache page or trackable page saying "didn't see the listed bug in the cache."

I strongly encourage the use of the "mark as missing" option, rather than a travel bug graveyard. TB graveyards became obsolete in December 2003 when the "mark as missing" option was introduced. Unlike a TB graveyard, which is basically a fake virtual cache, moving a trackable to "an unknown location" won't affect its mileage, in case it ever turns up again at the bottom of someone's backpack.

As Eartha said, contacting someone with admin rights should be a last resort if the owner of the cache and the owner of the trackable aren't taking action. Also, I don't move a trackable without clear evidence that it's gone -- either the cache is archived, went missing with the trackable in it, or the trackable was dropped many months ago and there are multiple logs on the cache page or trackable page saying "didn't see the listed bug in the cache."

I strongly encourage the use of the "mark as missing" option, rather than a travel bug graveyard. TB graveyards became obsolete in December 2003 when the "mark as missing" option was introduced. Unlike a TB graveyard, which is basically a fake virtual cache, moving a trackable to "an unknown location" won't affect its mileage, in case it ever turns up again at the bottom of someone's backpack.

That's what I do, too! ;) I have to read both the cache page and the TB/geocoin page back to the date the trackable item was dropped, and follow the history to find out what happened. I have had my marked missing note deleted only once, but I'm thinking the owner didn't want my note on the page.