Pocket Query and finding specific types of caches

Blue Devil PA

Hi there all, just wondering about how to run a pocket query that would give me more difficult "hiking" type of caches instead of those alongside roads. I have tried filtering by terrain rating, but some terrain ratings are more geared toward a specific obstacle versus an endurance event. As a result, sometimes I end up bushwacking through deadfalls twenty yards from a country road.

I guess I am trying to limit the exclusion/inclusion function beyond the designs. Does a red line through an inclusion icon equal an exclusion? Sorry for the kind of obscure questions, but I am looking to get exercise versus racking up finds. Thanks for any help!

No, under "Attributes to Include", if you select the "significant hike" icon with a red line, the PQ will only include caches with that same icon - caches that do not involve a significant hike. So, you want the same icon, but without the red line.

But remember, the PQ will only generate those caches where the cacher has selected those icons. In my experience, the attribute icons are under-utilized. Especially, the older caches, and by newer cachers.

I still think your best shot is to generate PQs by high terrain rating, then delete those caches along a road. If certain cachers have a trend towards "obstacle" rating, you can use GSAK to filter out all caches by specific hikers. And you can be sure most older high-terrain rated caches involve long hikes.

No, under "Attributes to Include", if you select the "significant hike" icon with a red line, the PQ will only include caches with that same icon - caches that do not involve a significant hike. So, you want the same icon, but without the red line.

But remember, the PQ will only generate those caches where the cacher has selected those icons. In my experience, the attribute icons are under-utilized. Especially, the older caches, and by newer cachers.

I still think your best shot is to generate PQs by high terrain rating, then delete those caches along a road. If certain cachers have a trend towards "obstacle" rating, you can use GSAK to filter out all caches by specific hikers. And you can be sure most older high-terrain rated caches involve long hikes.

Why does my post say "Chuy!"? :blink:

Seriously - that was a GREAT succinct answer for this forum.

kudos_302.gif

Chuy! has it. That should give you some very difficult caches. Have fun.

~.~Scare Force One

Thanks for the quick and informative answer. I tried it and got more caches on the first sweep than I could ever try for in a year. Now I will go through and weed those out that are more of a challenge for my vehicle than me. Again, thanks and happy caching!