Are posters IP addresses logged?

JustAnotherGeek

We unfortunately have a BAD Geocacher in our area who STOLE everything out of a cache and posted online that they did (and even included a photo of all the swag they took.)

This cache is GCRDWM (Beetle Bailey).

It looks that whoever found it...went through the trouble of creating a new GeoCacher name of "StoleItAll" and then Logged the find (and theft of the cache contents) and even posted photos of everything they took.

Geocaching is to be fun for everyone...but there ARE a few bad apples that mess it up for everyone else. (I'm not talking of your run of the mill muggles...I'm talking about GeoCachers (the non-muggles) that mess caches up for others.)

1. When a GeoCacher creates an account or posts a find...is their IP address logged?

2. Is there a way to lock this Cacher's GC account so that they can no longer use it?

We unfortunately have a BAD Geocacher in our area who STOLE everything out of a cache and posted online that they did (and even included a photo of all the swag they took.)

This cache is GCRDWM (Beetle Bailey).

It looks that whoever found it...went through the trouble of creating a new GeoCacher name of "StoleItAll" and then Logged the find (and theft of the cache contents) and even posted photos of everything they took.

Geocaching is to be fun for everyone...but there ARE a few bad apples that mess it up for everyone else. (I'm not talking of your run of the mill muggles...I'm talking about GeoCachers (the non-muggles) that mess caches up for others.)

1. When a GeoCacher creates an account or posts a find...is their IP address logged?

2. Is there a way to lock this Cacher's GC account so that they can no longer use it?

Yes and yes.

However, the forums are not the best place to deal with your situation. Why don't you shoot an email to the 'contact' address explaining what happened?

Geocaching.com is a listing service of geocaches. Nothing more.

How exactly is Groundspeak supposed to do anything about this person's behavior? Will banning the account make him put anything back in the box? What's next - banning accounts because they didn't trade up?

Yes, they guy was a jerk. But I doubt seriously that Groundspeak will do anything unless they violate the TOU of the site.

...2. Is there a way to lock this Cacher's GC account so that they can no longer use it?

Groundspeak can and does ban accounts that prove to be abusive. It's a small annoyance to the cache maggot in that they have to go through the trouble to create a new account. Sometimes they are able to ban a specific IP address however there are certain variables that come into play before they can do that.