Garmin 60CSx Driver problem

eaparks

Wanted to see if anyone else experiences the same problem and what may be causing the problem? I'm using Windows XP Pro, SP2, Garmin CN NT v8, U.S. Topo, U.S. Inland Lakes, and Custom Maps.

Whenever I use Garmin's gstart and load maps to my Micro SD memory card with a usb card reader the USB Driver for the 60CSx is not detected the next time I connect the 60CSx. This happens every time I use the card reader... card reader is detected as having found new hardware. To get Mapsource to detect the 60CSx again (does detect 60CSx as connected... found new hardware... just doesn't detect unit's S/N) I have to have Mapsource search for the USB driver from the Garmin USB Driver's update file that I had originally downloaded from the Garmin website. This is not a hugh problem since I can always get it to working properly each time, but it does get old having to do this everytime after using a card reader. Once I have it search for the driver I no longer have any problems until I use the card reader again, and then the same scenario all over again.

Anyone have an ideas on what I have incorrect and how to solve the annoying problem? Thank You in advace for any suggestions on what to look for.

Edited by eaparks

your question confused me that's why I have not put forth any questions/answers to figure this out

Im not quite understanding the situation, you use a card reader for the microSD piece. why dont you just keep the microSD card in the unit and use the 60csx instead of the separate device?

I think I am dyslexic when it comes to large paragraphs of information

your question confused me that's why I have not put forth any questions/answers to figure this out

Im not quite understanding the situation, you use a card reader for the microSD piece. why dont you just keep the microSD card in the unit and use the 60csx instead of the separate device?

I think I am dyslexic when it comes to large paragraphs of information

The reason for using the card reader is to speed up the transfer time of sending maps to the memory card. I am sending about 870 Mb of maps to the memory card. By using a memory card reader, instead of keeping the memory card in the unit, it cuts the transfer time almost in half.

You are using Gstart, which is part of the Garmin Training Center.

I would ask, how about using Mapsource to load the maps into the card with card reader, then check to see if the problem is still there. Maybe Gstart and Mapsource work differently.

Also, since you use different mapping products, including Topo, and since you say you are loading 870mb of map data, is there any chance you are bumping up against the 2025 map segment count limit?

Reason I ask this is that for Topo you hit the segment count limit at about 375mb on the card. Compared to the other mapping products, Topo has small segments, and lots of them. The other products have larger, and fewer, segments.

You are using Gstart, which is part of the Garmin Training Center.

I would ask, how about using Mapsource to load the maps into the card with card reader, then check to see if the problem is still there. Maybe Gstart and Mapsource work differently.

Also, since you use different mapping products, including Topo, and since you say you are loading 870mb of map data, is there any chance you are bumping up against the 2025 map segment count limit?

Reason I ask this is that for Topo you hit the segment count limit at about 375mb on the card. Compared to the other mapping products, Topo has small segments, and lots of them. The other products have larger, and fewer, segments.

Thanks segler999

I'll try using Mapsource without going thru Gstart. When I downloaded Garmin's POI loader I got Gstart and it opens any time I connect the USB card reader.

I double checked the number of map segments that I transfer and it is 763 maps and 878.3 Mb.

Edited by eaparks