Looming watershed Moment

Goat6500

Hey, before too long GC will have reached 1/2 a million cachers!

Does Groundspeak have any special plans to celebrate or commemorate this?

Once you cull out the socks and the 'never used', I wonder if we are up to 100 grand.

You mean 1.5 million? As of the time of this post on Thursday, Nov. 8th account #1,343,500 was created.

I really don't think socks are a major factor. Never used, probably mostly by people who don't even own a GPS, and just signed up for something on the internet? Probably a major factor. :blink:

Oh, on the front page it says '452,000' active cacher's worldwide. I guess it's possible it had previously passed 500K but I can't tell. Woopsie!

CACHES :blink: Still, that will be a watershed moment. I don't pay much attention to how much that number grows daily, but 500K active caches can't be too far off.

Caches/cachers...double whoopsie!

At any rate how about this challenge to the GS Staff for the 500,000th cache:

Get Bill Clinton(the pres, not the musician) to do a photo op/internet video speech/Internet Q&A/or something for Geocaching.com. Technically, he was the beginning of G.C. when he signed the bill to remove Selective Availability from GPS's. It's not like he's that busy any more and I'm sure his press agent would perk up at the offer to reach out to 1.5 million voters for whatever political agenda he's pushing nowadays.

Or if he's busy, maybe we could settle for Bill Clinton the musician....

O.K. yeah, scratch the "500,000th Active Cache" and replace it with simply "1,000,000th Cache".

That'll probably take another year or so but trying to get on an ex-president's schedule probably isn't a quick thing. In fact, I think Clinton is notorious for sky-high public speaking rates(like $100K) so getting him do do something for GC without bankrupting Groundspeak is probably may not be realistic.

Still, it would immensly satisfying to find out if old "Wild Bill" knows how many people were affected by one nondescript bill that one of his advisor's probably shoved in front of his face and said "Sign this Bubba, trust me..". I mean, 1.5 million people, and to some people, this is their lives! Now adays, you just can't get more wholesome, outtdoor greeney,family oreinted, good old-american fun than geocaching.

Wow, I'm gonna run out and hide 5-6 more right now. Just doing my part....:laughing:
And I'll drive my car down the freeway throwing 35mm film canisters out the window every 0.1 miles... :mad:
BRILLIANT!!! BRILLIANT!!! Just make sure you have good coords for where they land.

Good coordinates? Why buck tradition?

Edward

Caches/cachers...double whoopsie!

At any rate how about this challenge to the GS Staff for the 500,000th cache:

Get Bill Clinton(the pres, not the musician) to do a photo op/internet video speech/Internet Q&A/or something for Geocaching.com. Technically, he was the beginning of G.C. when he signed the bill to remove Selective Availability from GPS's. It's not like he's that busy any more and I'm sure his press agent would perk up at the offer to reach out to 1.5 million voters for whatever political agenda he's pushing nowadays.

Or if he's busy, maybe we could settle for Bill Clinton the musician....

To be fair, shouldn't we have Al Gore, too, since he invented the internet? :laughing: