Tour de Cache 2 - NJ DeLorme Challenge Updates

Tour de Cache - NJ

This thread will be used to provide updates and clarifications for GC16TDD - Tour de Cache 2 - NJ DeLorme Challenge

1. Rule #3 of the challenge allows you to claim completion of a page if you have found and/or hidden all of the available caches on that page as of the start of the challenge (10/25/2007). So far we are aware of two cachers who have successfully made that claim. To assist in determining if you qualify to claim a page under Rule #3, we are providing the following link which shows the cache count on each page of the DeLorme atlas at the start of the challenge with further links to our list.

Atlas Page Cache Totals as of Starting Date (10/25/07)

One interesting thing we noted when going through the caches was that there were three caches that fell on page boundaries. Considering there where 3,603 caches at the start of the challenge, that was not to bad. We decided that those caches on page boundaries will not be considered for determining the completion of a page at the start of the DeLorme Challenge. Further during the ongoing DeLorme Challenge these caches may be counted on one page or the other but not both pages that share the boundary that these caches are on.

2. Some cachers have posted bookmarks on the Tour de Cache 2 cache page to show their progress. For those cachers who are premium and members and have the ability to post bookmarks, we would encourage you to do so if you desire. Further for premium members upon finding a cache on each page of the DeLorme Atlas, submitting a link to your bookmark rather than sending the committee a GPX file of your finds will be the preferred method for submitting the information necessary for verifying your successful completion of the challenge

3. A GSAK macro that was originally written for the Virginia DeLorme challenge to determine what page a cache is on has been revised by Never Lost In Him for use in the New Jersey DeLorme challenge. We took NLIH’s work and applied it to the latest version of the Virgina macro and are making it available at the link below. Thanks Lance for spotting the GSAK macro and revising it for New Jersey.

GSAK Macro for Determining What Atlas Page a Cache Is On

Edited by Tour de Cache - NJ

So just to clarify...if I already found the only cache that was on Page 40 when the DeLorme Challenge was published, that page is done for me, even if a new cache is subsequently placed there?

Also, do the pages that have top and bottom halves count as seperate pages or just one page (i.e. I found a cache on 73B, so am I done with Page 73 or do I have to find one on 73T as well?)

Thanks ;)

So just to clarify...if I already found the only cache that was on Page 40 when the DeLorme Challenge was published, that page is done for me, even if a new cache is subsequently placed there?

That's the way we wrote Rule #3 and how we intend to interpret it. We have a master list of all the caches that where in place on 10/25/07 and that's what we will use to judge completion of a page on the start date. To do otherwise would be tracking a moving target and we just don't have the time to do that. We are trying to make admin of this Tour manageable. (You can get to our list through some of the links in the first posting of this thread.)

Also, do the pages that have top and bottom halves count as separate pages or just one page (i.e. I found a cache on 73B, so am I done with Page 73 or do I have to find one on 73T as well?)

Refer to Rule #6. You found a cache on one section of Page 73. You're done there. Some other state challenges require you to find a cache in each section, we don't. If you find something on the page, you're done.

Hope that answers your questions.

Congrats to carels on the FTF! Two weeks... that's some mighty fast caching!

So far I've got thirteen (boxes 18-26 and 28-31) and I've been to some great ones in far-flung parts of the state, including the well-documented smash-hit horror classic 'Descent into the Manunka Chunk Tunnels', starring TRL, lakelady, Joisey Girl and ACE 2090. :blink:

Suppose the one and only cache on a page is missing?

Reading between the lines it looks like you may be talking about GC153FQ - WOO 2 forgot the Hoo on page 52. If it is indeed gone and there are no other caches on the page then we are going to have to work out some sort of exemption. But we will work that out with each cacher on a case by case basis.

Best thing at this point is to check with the CO on the status of the cache and get back to us with the specifics.

The intent of the Tour is for it to be doable and fun. So we will work with you when glitches like this arise.

Reading between the lines it looks like you may be talking about GC153FQ - WOO 2 forgot the Hoo on page 52. If it is indeed gone and there are no other caches on the page then we are going to have to work out some sort of exemption. But we will work that out with each cacher on a case by case basis.

Best thing at this point is to check with the CO on the status of the cache and get back to us with the specifics.

The intent of the Tour is for it to be doable and fun. So we will work with you when glitches like this arise.

So, if I've hunted this cache and it's confirmed missing afterwards, I get this page for free, right?

Do I have to return to this cache if it's repaired/replaced by the CO?

What if it's archived and someone places a new cache on that grid before I get the final 'tudes for TdC-2. Do I really have to drive ALL the way back to that grid to get the new cache?

So, if I've hunted this cache and it's confirmed missing afterwards, I get this page for free, right?

What if it's archived and someone places a new cache on that grid before I get the final 'tudes for TdC-2. Do I really have to drive ALL the way back to that grid to get the new cache?

Nik,

Here are some guiding principles for this type of situation

1. If its unfindable, and you can convince us of that fact and there are no other findable caches on the page at the time you complete the Tour, then you can apply for an exemption.

2. If the CO replaces it and its the only findable cache on the page, then we would expect you go back to find it unless you can make a compelling argument and convince us otherwise. Part of the challenge is to find caches on each page.

3. If there is new cache is listed on the page before you complete the Tour, we expect you to find it to complete the page.

No blanket exemptions will be granted. We will do this on a case by case basis and we will do our best to be fair and equitable about it. But the cacher will need to convince us of the need for an exemption to the rules.